Esteemed Contributor

Now that these sweet onions are being featured in the market, anyone wish to share their favoriate recipe(s)?

My mainstay:  Place a slice with some genoa salami between two slices of buttered black bread with a smidgeon of grey poupon.

Love 'real' onion soup with cheese dripping from the crock, but that's waaay too much work for me.

Any faves you'd like to share?

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

Now that these sweet onions are being featured in the market, anyone wish to share their favoriate recipe(s)?

My mainstay:  Place a slice with some genoa salami between two slices of buttered black bread with a smidgeon of grey poupon.

Love 'real' onion soup with cheese dripping from the crock, but that's waaay too much work for me.

Any faves you'd like to share?

@eddyandme   Because they are sweet, I like them raw, in guacamole, on hamburgers and grilled chicken breasts with cheese, any way to eat them raw, and sometimes when I am nibbling cheese while waiting for the meat to cook, I eat them with the cheese.  I remember Martha Stewart saying that she likes onion sandwiches.

Esteemed Contributor

wrap in foil...with a little butter...salt &pepper....bake in toaster oven....sometimes i add a little brown sugar....we lived in MS in 1971...never knew what a vidalia was...until one of my new southern friends shared her recipe...

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme Greek salad with onion,green pepper,cherry tomato.Dressing olive oil,lemon,sugar,oregano and salt.

Esteemed Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

wrap in foil...with a little butter...salt &pepper....bake in toaster oven....sometimes i add a little brown sugar....we lived in MS in 1971...never knew what a vidalia was...until one of my new southern friends shared her recipe...

@nana59, sounds good - how long do you bake them (@ 350*)?

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl, my mother and her sisters used to eat onion sandwiches!  I've nevr tried that - maybe some day!

Esteemed Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

@nana59 wrote:

@nana59, sounds good - how long do you bake them (@ 350*)?

have no clue how long to bake it....i keep sticking it with a knife until i think it's tender enough...i like my vegetables mushy!  from one year to the next...i can't remember what temp i bake them...i don't think it makes much of a difference....350/375.....just keep stabbing it!!  my cooking skills have lessened over the years!!

Valued Contributor

Sandwich of sliced fresh garden tomatoes, couple slices 1/4 inch sliced Vidalia onions, & mayo...yum!

Honored Contributor

finely chopped vidalia onions, tomatoes, persian cucumbers, chopped parsley, and crumbled feta cheese......sea salt, freshly ground pepper.......olive oil and freshly squeezed lime juice. a refreshing side dish with any meal. we call it shirazi salad.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Frequent Contributor

I like a thin slice over a fried egg in toasted sour dough bread...little salt and pepper..yum