Regular Contributor

I need a turkey lifter and looked on Amazon this afternoon found one by Cuisipro that I like really well but with tax and S&H it will be $27.00 and it just seems high. I really didn't want to have to go to the Malls...I don't have the strength in my arms for lifting anymore nor does my husband...what do you think? Is this reasonable.

Esteemed Contributor
Go to the Williams Sonoma web site and search for turkey lifters. they have a few different types. Also check Bed Bath and Beyond and search for turkey lifters. They have several kinds too.
Honored Contributor

Don't forget to try Ebay!

Respected Contributor

The price probably isn't bad, but it won't be any lighter and the racks are a pain to wash. I personally prefer using the heat proof silicone gloves. Much easier to pull out. The big hook you slide through the turkey is the easiest for me to use, you can use 2 hands on the handle, but I generally go for the gloves.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

The problem with this kind of item is that the turkey is still going to weigh just as much. So I, also severely lacking in physical strength now, just take two long utensils - one in each end - and lift the turkey to its destination.

I looked into these turkey lifting tools a year or two ago and found that not only were there a lot of bad reviews, it doesn't take away the weight. It just makes it less cumbersome than trying to pick it up with your hands. Two long, heavy-duty, utensils will do the same thing.

Honored Contributor

Ok; I'm getting a visual of one of those things they use to lift an engine out of a car being wheeled into the kitchen, and someone strapping chains around the turkey then pushing a red button on the wall to lift it out of the roasting pan.

Sometimes my imagination gets the best of me.{#emotions_dlg.blush}

Honored Contributor

Nifty Turkey Lifter on Amazon $7.49 plus free shipping on $35 orders. Or set of Norpro 2 turkey lifters for $10.20 free shipping on $35. I agree with debc that the silicon gloves are the easiest to use to pick up a hot bird. Search silicone gloves on Amazon & take your pick. We found the Butterball gloves at Lowe's.

View Full Size ImageView Full Size Image

Trusted Contributor
We were on vacation in VT a couple of years ago and looking around a gourmet kitchen store in Stowe. In the clearance section I saw a silicone turkey lifter for $3! It is like a pair of straps criss crossed with two handles and makes lifting a turkey so easy. Glad I found it.