Honored Contributor

Turkey Breasts Not In Demand This Time Of Year?

[ Edited ]

DH went to the grocery store early this afternoon.  I had planned to do a 7-9 lb. turkey breast like I do at Thanksgiving!  He came home with a Butterball that looks like a small fryer (chicken)!  There was no choice!  I'm surprised with less people eating beef, some won't eat pork.  I had assumed the prices wouldn't resemble Thanksgiving, but lack of choice at the largest store in the area surprises me!

I do plan to ask the manager.

I looked at Publix (almost across the street from that store) and they show one, but I don't know if it wasn't removed from the holidays.

We lost our large freezer a month ago.  Even if I had bought ahead, I would have lost it.  I WILL buy ahead next year to be sure.

Do you ladies have a good choice of turkey breasts out of holiday season?

Regular Contributor

Re: Turkey Breasts Not In Demand This Time Of Year?

Our Dollar General Market has been having them for $.95 a lb. since Christmas.We have bought two at different times and put them on the smoker, they came out, so juicy and tender, really good. 

Honored Contributor

Our Tops has them on sale this week.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG They can be hard to find throughout a good portion of the year. I like to prepare them several times each year and not just for the fall and winter holidays, when I might or might not want one, but often find the selection lacking. Supposed 'supermarkets' can be annoying. I can always find brand after brand and package after package of ground turkey, which I don't buy, but finding a turkey breast can be a real chore. I can usually find turkey cutlets, but when I want a turkey breast, I don't want to have to make do with something else.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

looked up turkey breast at the store i shop in the most.

they have both store brand available in both fresh and frozen, 4 -7 pounds, bone in......fresh is $3.19 a pound, frozen is $2.59 a pound.

store brand turkey breast cutlets, thin sliced are $7.29 a pound. regular turkey breast cutlets from shady brook farms are $2.66 a pound.

target has a bone in turkey breast, 6 - 9 pounds, frozen for $2.29 a pound. they have a boneless butterball, roast in bag, 3 pounds for $14.99.

walmart has several options also in butterball and honeysuckle.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I have a turkey breast in the freezer I bought at Christmas time and didn't cook, I'll be roasting that at Easter. Only frozen turkey available in my area at this time of the year.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

looked up turkey breast at the store i shop in the most.

they have both store brand available in both fresh and frozen, 4 -7 pounds, bone in......fresh is $3.19 a pound, frozen is $2.59 a pound.

store brand turkey breast cutlets, thin sliced are $7.29 a pound. regular turkey breast cutlets from shady brook farms are $2.66 a pound.

target has a bone in turkey breast, 6 - 9 pounds, frozen for $2.29 a pound. they have a boneless butterball, roast in bag, 3 pounds for $14.99.

walmart has several options also in butterball and honeysuckle.

@sunshine45 Girl, THAT'S exactly what I need!  I don't know "what gives" HERE, because I certainly am with a lot of artists who prefer a diet other than mine.

Esteemed Contributor

By coincidence I roasted a turkey breast today that I bought last Friday--8.47 pounds.

Am I remembering correctly that you are in the Asheville area or am I confusing you with another poster?  If so Ingles just had Honeysuckle White frozen turkey breasts for .98 a pound during their Bonanza sale last Friday, at least in my area.

My local grocery stores always seem to have a good supply of Honeysuckle White turkey breasts and they are often on sale.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

I was at Kroger today and there was a big section of turkey breasts in one of the freezers.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Marp wrote:

By coincidence I roasted a turkey breast today that I bought last Friday--8.47 pounds.

Am I remembering correctly that you are in the Asheville area or am I confusing you with another poster?  If so Ingles just had Honeysuckle White frozen turkey breasts for .98 a pound during their Bonanza sale last Friday, at least in my area.

My local grocery stores always seem to have a good supply of Honeysuckle White turkey breasts and they are often on sale.

@Marp Yes, my Dear!  I am in the Asheville area.  I was born and reared here.  Amazing.  He came home with this.  What you describe is what I buy.  Go figure....Also he won't ask, and probably didn't know what to ask.  I know the brands, and we shop at Ingles!