Honored Contributor

@Renata22 wrote:

@sunshine45 I'm not sure if I have had Italian tuna. Could you share how it's different?

it just seems like a better quality and more "meaty" the pieces are bigger and more firm. i think the smell and taste are better also.  it is definitely more expensive. i wish i had taken a pic of the cans i opened yesterday. you can also buy it in jars. the italian tuna is packed in olive oil.  i think there are a few others on these boards that like italian tunas also. i have been using only italian tunas for about 2 -3 years now.

tuna flott tuna.jpg

here is a photo of italian tuna being used in a recipe.....you can see how they are much larger pieces than in traditional canned tunas.

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2015/04/15/dining/15KITCHEN/15KITCHEN-articleLarge.jpg

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@Tessa Mendoza   Yes, there is canned chicken.  I would be loathe to try it.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@jpie wrote:

I got the Chicken of the Sea Hot Buffalo tuna (5.5 oz) foil packets at my last Wal-Mart grocery pick-up run. They also have different varieties of this, along with Great Value brand varieties.  Limit of two.  This was last Sunday. 

Just got a six can pack of Kirkland chicken from a Costco delivery today. Limit of one. Makes great tortilla chicken soup in my Instant pot.  

@jpie  My husband loves the six pack cans of Kirklands chicken.

Mine recently brought me a 6-pk of this chicken and I love it!   It has salt in it, so one must adjust the salt for the rest of a recipe, but it is very nice and tasty.  

I find Kirkland products, in general, to be of very good quality.   I also love the Kirkland brand canned albacore in water.  It is by-and-large better than any other brand I've ever tried over the decades.

Honored Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

@Tessa Mendoza   Yes, there is canned chicken.  I would be loathe to try it.

@Cats3000   The one we get at Costco is in a big can with hefty chunks of white meat chicken. Kind of like tuna in a can but not shredded like tuna or small chunks like tuna. Makes a good chicken salad.

Trusted Contributor

@sunshine45 

Thanks for responding. Looks delicious! I will definitely try it if I can find it. 

Trusted Contributor

@drizzellla 

Yes, that has happened to us several times. Seems like you just get a craving for something and it's completely gone. 

In the case of the returning, our stores around here are not accepting any returns right now. If you bought half the store, it is now yours for good. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

What I’m seeing is that any ingredient used in basic belly filling meals, is hard to find.   When things get tough, people start remembering the simple ways to fall back on to make the best of the situation.   

Anyone who was raised on hearty casseroles, biscuits and gravy, or taters, beans and cornbread, knows this is the way to stretch a food budget and feed a family.  

The cheapest ground beef still makes a tasty casserole, as does tuna and corned beef.   Casseroles need noodles or rice, cream soup, sometimes tater tots or hash browns, all of which are hard to find locally.   

I always have canned chicken for soup, casseroles, chicken and dumplings, or chicken quesadillas.   

I use 4 cans or packages of tuna when I mix up tuna salad, and the 3 of us who eat tuna salad sandwiches, can easily finish the whole bowl in one day.   I raised 2 girls, and keeping food stocked in this house when they were teenagers was a challenge.   

Trusted Contributor

@Renata22  We have a small selection of tuna in our grocery store also.

Respected Contributor
Shortage in my area off and on. Seems like people moved to the tuna when the threat came out about shortages in meat department. Monday of this week very little on shelf at store I was at, Thursday a reasonable amount especially of the flavored pouches but limit of six of any type tuna. I like bumblebee, 2 ounce albacore cans because I mix one with a pouch of bumblebee jalapeño for a tuna salad. Also like Bumblebee Sundried Tomato but just use two pouches for one meal. Tuna minus oil is very friendly on my weight loss plan so eat a couple times a week.

Swanson brand chicken breast (canned) is very good. I use it to make chicken salad. Would have never thought I would like it but a fellow weight loss peep introduced me to Swansons. Imagine this has become short supply also. Have not checked lately.