Honored Contributor

🍅 Tomato Sandwich 🍅

I had my first tomato sandwich of the season with a fresh tomato from the farm stand !  Best lunch ever !  Last night I had sweet corn 🌽  for dinner, I just love summer produce. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

Re: 🍅 Tomato Sandwich 🍅

My husband loves a tomato sandwich. I don’t but I love tomatoes. 

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 OH!  Yum!  One of my very favorites!

Esteemed Contributor

I just picked up my second load of butter/sugar corn.  6 for $3.....and my one cherry tomato plant is pumping out delicious little ones.  (NYS)

Honored Contributor

I got this recipe from a neighbor and have been making them ever since:

1 lb cored and sliced tomatoes

3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil

1 tbsp red wine vinegar

3/4 tsp salt

1/2 cup mayonnaise

Whisk oil, vinegar, and salt in gallon Ziploc bag.  Put in tomatoes, press out air, seal bag, and turn bag to marinade tomatoes.  Lay bag flat at room temperature for 10 minutes.

Remove tomatoes to plate.  Mix 1 1/2 tbsp marinade with mayonnaise in dish.  Arrange tomatoes on toast and spread with mayonnaise mixture. 

Honored Contributor

OMG!  Did someone say tomato?

I used to say "On my tombstone say, "Here Lies Linda...she loved a good tomato".

That's how much I love tomatoes.  But not just any tomatoes.  My friend every year has an amazing huge garden.  He puts out (from seeds) over 300 tomato plants alone.  He plants lots of other vegetables, but it's the tomatoes I love...his tomatoes...they're the best.  Amazing!

So far today I had one for breakfast, one for lunch and a snack.  Yesterday it was similar.

I love tomato sandwiches.  If they are between 2 pieces of bread toasted or not, a little mayonnaise and salt and pepper...that's called a "MADDER Sandwich".  Long A.

My friend has already been canning some of the tomatoes.  He gave me 6 beautiful ones yesterday and I only have 2 left on the counter and 1/2 in the fridg.

I don't like them cold.  I like them from the counter sitting out!

I will have to skip a day or two soon because the acid in them makes my mouth sore.

When I was a kid I used to love my Grandma's tomatoes.  She raised me.  She'd have all of the tomato plants along the fence in the back yard.  The smell of the tomato plants is like the sweetest perfume.

Phew!  Just typing  it and thinking about a ripe, red tomato makes my heart jump for joy.

He gave us a bunch of yellow squash.  My daughter eats those...as for me...give me a tomato.

Sounds like you love tomatoes too.Heart

Esteemed Contributor

Tomato sandwiches -- ahhh -- reminds me of my mom. Thanks for the memory. Enjoy your vegetable / fruit - or as my 23 month old grandson calls it -- apple. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I had my first tomato sandwich of the season with a fresh tomato from the farm stand !  Best lunch ever !  Last night I had sweet corn 🌽  for dinner, I just love summer produce. 

@QVCkitty1   Me too!  My neighbor just dropped off a bag of tomatoes.

What do you put in your tomato sandwich?...anything else?  What kind of bread?

Honored Contributor

I

@haddon9 wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@QVCkitty1   Me too!  My neighbor just dropped off a bag of tomatoes.

What do you put in your tomato sandwich?...anything else?  What kind of bread?

@haddon9 , I rarely ever buy regular white bread, I like a crusty loaf, but for a tomato sandwich it's white bread toasted. I bought Arnold's oat nut bread, and used a little mayo and some butter lettuce. Tomorrow I'm adding bacon, I mean what is tomato season without  at least one BLT ?

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

Grilled cheese sandwich made with a big fat slice of heirloom beefsteak tomatoes in it and/or an avocado, tomato and lettuce on whole wheat bread slathered with mayo....YUM! My heirlooms are finally starting to turn red. What a bad year for growing tomatoes.