Esteemed Contributor

I unplug everything except my microwave. It takes just a second, and it's a habit for me. My coffeemaker, toaster oven, blender, whatever. I turn it off and unplug. I don't even think about it.

We had a fire in our house when I was a teenager. Not related to appliances, but it was pretty scary. Even if keeping appliances plugged in is a small risk, I'd rather be safe than sorry. Once it's a habit, it's not a big effort at all.

Respected Contributor
On 3/30/2015 Mothertrucker said:

My parents almost had their house burn down because a TV caught on fire-

It was late at night (remember when they played the Star Spangled Banner when the stations would go off the air - YES, stations used to go off the air!)

Well they fell asleep in front of the TV in the den, woke up to the 'National Anthem' and to see the large console TV in flames-

They manage somehow to carry it outside where they extinguished it- Fire dept came, my mom ruptured disc doing it and ended up in surgery...

Do I unplug my TV? no.. maybe i should..

Fortunately, those TV are out and the new ones are a lot safer. Those old ones had to warm up to work and they did get very, very hot. Any appliances that are heating can be dangerous.

Respected Contributor
On 3/30/2015 NYC Susan said:

I unplug everything except my microwave. It takes just a second, and it's a habit for me. My coffeemaker, toaster oven, blender, whatever. I turn it off and unplug. I don't even think about it.

We had a fire in our house when I was a teenager. Not related to appliances, but it was pretty scary. Even if keeping appliances plugged in is a small risk, I'd rather be safe than sorry. Once it's a habit, it's not a big effort at all.

I too got in the habit of doing it, so it is natural now. For my Keurig, I go plug it in while I wait for my foundation to dry a bit to buff it out, so this works well. I put my toaster on to cook my sandwich (I have one of those toasters that toasts a muffin and cooks an egg/sausage at the same time.), turn the coffee machine on and dump the grounds out, feed the cats, and then back to get ready. When I'm done with getting ready, my Keurig is ready to go and so is my sandwich. I start my coffee and finish assembling my sandwich and bottle of water and vitamins, then I'm out the door.

Trusted Contributor

My microwave started acting weird---making noises when not in use. So, I unplugged it to be safe.

Regular Contributor
On 3/30/2015 tigriss said:
On 3/30/2015 Mothertrucker said:

My parents almost had their house burn down because a TV caught on fire-

It was late at night (remember when they played the Star Spangled Banner when the stations would go off the air - YES, stations used to go off the air!)

Well they fell asleep in front of the TV in the den, woke up to the 'National Anthem' and to see the large console TV in flames-

They manage somehow to carry it outside where they extinguished it- Fire dept came, my mom ruptured disc doing it and ended up in surgery...

Do I unplug my TV? no.. maybe i should..

Fortunately, those TV are out and the new ones are a lot safer. Those old ones had to warm up to work and they did get very, very hot. Any appliances that are heating can be dangerous.

I think it was the TV's that instantly came on that they got rid of.

Esteemed Contributor

Toaster unplugged....Keurig plugged in...that's the only two electronic items on my counter....

Trusted Contributor
On 3/30/2015 athenian said: Unplugged ever since I saw a video of a toaster catching fire when NOT in use.

Same here. Even the microwave. Consumer Reports did a story on microwaves turning on during some kind of a power spike. It caught fire and it wasn't pretty. Everything is unplugged before I leave for work. I even keep the dishwasher door open just a little bit.

My two KA mixers are only plugged in when I'm using them. Same with the Keurig. As soon as I'm done, I turn them off and unplug them.

And everything in the house is unplugged and the water main turned off when we leave on vacation.

Respected Contributor

I guess since I leave the regular wall oven and clothes dryer plugged in, it probably doesn't make the house much safer to unplug the countertop oven and the built-in microwave. I do unplug the countertop oven when I go on vacation and unplug all other small appliances when I'm not using them.

Honored Contributor

This has given me food for thought. Next trip away from home, I'm unplugging. The only thing I ever was conscious of was the computer, I always unplugged it during a storm to protect it from a surge. Now I leave it plugged in and pray for a lightening strike. I want a MAC and that's the only way I'll be able to justify one.

Honored Contributor

It's better to unplug. You avoid not only the risk of fire but also (1) wasteful use of electricity since most appliances now have a microprocessor or clock that's always ""on"" and (2) the risk the appliance will burn out in the event of a power surge.