Respected Contributor

Our Maytag dishwasher of almost 14 years old has died. It has washed Alot of dishes. We run it with only full loads and we run it almost every day. Its a portable dishwasher. We went to a small appliance store we have been going to for Alot of years.  I know I have read how limited appliances have been so when we went in and said we here to buy a new portable dishwasher he said we don't have any.I wasn't surprised. He looked up what was available to get and he ordered us a ge dishwasher from ge .he told us it should be in probably by the end of the week. So we will see how long it will take to come in. It's price is 949.00 on sale for 714.00.

Valued Contributor

Re: Time for a new dishwasher.

Good luck with your new dishwasher.  We got ours about 2 months ago.  Our new one runs almost 3 hours to reserve water??  I hate that it runs so long but that's what most of the new ones run.  My niece found the same thing.  I guess that's progress??

Honored Contributor

@m0rgan wrote:

Good luck with your new dishwasher.  We got ours about 2 months ago.  Our new one runs almost 3 hours to reserve water??  I hate that it runs so long but that's what most of the new ones run.  My niece found the same thing.  I guess that's progress??

@m0rgan : Yikes. My dishwasher is 11 years old and takes 3 hours. I was hoping when ever shopping for a new one to be able to wash much faster. Depressing considering the cost of a dishwasher.

Honored Contributor

That's great if it does come on time! 

Our old dishwasher was a Kitchenaid which gave us problems from the beginning.  We had it for just over ten years and it really didn't get the dishes as clean as I would have liked.  It finally died over the winter and we had to order a new one.

We decided to order a Miele which took three months to get.  I can't believe how great this new dishwasher is!  The dishes all come out looking sparkling and fresh!  

Honored Contributor

@m0rgan wrote:

@m0rgan Mine also can take three hours but there is another mode for one hour.  It gets the dishes just as clean for one hour.  Our old dishwasher (which really didn't get dishes clean enough) also had a mode for one hour.  Check to see if yours has that.

Honored Contributor

(Whispering-)......My dishwasher is 20 years old. 

It was here when we moved in, and every time we try to 

decide on a replacement there's a pandemic or something.

So I put the dishes in the sink to soak them before I load it,  use the strongest detergent product I can find, then check every piece when I put it away.

If there is ANY food residue left on anything, it remains thereafter washing, ossified into ugly little ceramic/food art.

Yes I'm tired of this, but haven't seen anything that will go with the rest of our antique but still functional appliances.

ENJOY YOURS, OP!

Valued Contributor

@haddon9 My dishwasher does have a 1 hour cycle but it doesn't dry the dishes.  The info that comes in the book with the dishwasher says you shouldn't use the one hour cycle on a regular basis so I don't.  It's just the two of us so I can adjust.

Respected Contributor

Our dishwasher at the shore takes about an hour and a half to get to the dry cycle.  Since we are in a hurry to get home, we cancel the dry cycle.  

Lesson learned: turn it on before going to bed the night before.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Trusted Contributor

I have a 15 month old Frigidaire dishwasher.  I always use the quick cycle.  It's 33 minutes and I have never had a problem getting the dishes clean.  Sometimes the plastic items don't dry completely, but that's not a big deal to me. 

I only picked this brand because I bought all new appliances for the kitchen and it was the only brand that made a black stainless refrigerator that fit my space.  I got all the appliances immediately except the refrigerator.  I waited 15 months for the refrigerator!!!  It finally came last week.

Respected Contributor

For 1 1/2 years I have had a Whirlpool dishwasher.  The typical cycle is over 3 hours, so I guess this is now the industry standard.   It does a good job getting everything clean.

I like that it is QUIET.  In the past, a couple of our dishwashers were way too noisy. 

I also like another feature that is new to us on this dishwasher.  It has a third rack.  It is up top.  It is just deep enough to put small, slim items.  At first, I forgot to use that rack.  Once I got in the habit of using it, I decided I like it very much.