Honored Contributor

Thrift store finds today~

[ Edited ]

my friend is visiting so we decided since our pool is closed to visitors we'd go "thrift store" hunting🙂

We went to one and was surprised great selections of Pyrex, White cornflower & meadow corning ware & lots of Tupperware. 

I found in the back a Fiesta platter - they had it as part of a "orange" dinnerware set.  Well, I told her I'd like to just buy platter -- after bargaining a bit she agreed to sell me the platter -- I bought for $3.00🙂🙂 (It's deep orange maybe "poppy" not sure of all the Fiesta colors)

321B8802-AC15-4ECC-B3A3-C9521246D266.jpeg

952CFF76-F88B-46A9-9A5B-F27C421E9C47.jpeg

Then I looked through the tupperware -- found the lettuce keeper even had the insert - $2

87AF6859-2569-436A-A60A-7BED72FE2A77.jpeg

My friend bought several pieces of corning ware & corelli, pyrex dishes.

Tomorrow we're going to furniture store and vendor mart.  Can't wait to see what we will find!!! 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Thrift store finds today~

@homedecor1  Great  find on the fiesta ware platter.  I believe the color is persimmon.

Love my fiesta ware !

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 

You found some treasures to be sure.  Please don't microwave in old Tupperware.  The chemical when heated is highly unsafe.  You would be aghast to know what the chemical was used for.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG 

Thank you! I only bought lettuce keeper.

Can my friend safely put older pyrex & corning ware in microwave? If not, I'll let her know since she uses it a lot.

Thank you again!

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I find the greatest things at thrift and consignment stores.  Lots of vintage Tupperware, some Temp-tations, which I've had really good luck with (I.e no cracking), cookbooks, you name it.  My favorite places to shop!

I also found the lettuce keeper with insert which I was thrilled about.  đź™‚

P.S.  Adding my comment about the microwave discussion about vintage Tupperware.  I don't use any of my Tupperware in the microwave.  I have other containers that are safe when I do heat something up. 🙂

Honored Contributor

For many years I shopped at Thrift stores, Salvation Army and of course antique stores and flea markets.  I think I had more fun finding treasures than buying anything practical!  It was always an adventure.

Of course now I have so much in the knic knack world and also collectibles.  At the time on my sprees I had fun and enjoyment  but down sizing is in order for me and it's time to  donate back!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@ECBG 

Thank you! I only bought lettuce keeper.

Can my friend safely put older pyrex & corning ware in microwave? If not, I'll let her know since she uses it a lot.

Thank you again!

@homedecor1 

Yes, your friend can definitely put old corningware in the microwave.  In fact, the older corningware is more resilient than the newer corningware.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

@homedecor1 Absolutely.  Your friend can put the Pyrex and Corningware in the microwave.  It's not Temptations.

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 

Glass is safe to microwave as long as it isn't hot to touch. 

Unless the Tupperware is new, absolutely no heat or cooking which also leaches out the chemicals that are top carsongenios.  These compounds are something any knowing person would be horrified to put in their veins.

Microwave safe freezer containers are on amazon.  I use them.  

Honored Contributor

no microwave food for me... I hardly even reheat.

Although, i have tempered chocolate in it using glass bowl in a pinch but double boiler method I prefer.