Respected Contributor

Sure looks good!

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Esteemed Contributor

Just decided to order one.  Bought one years ago and it was excellent.  Big ham cuts at the store - at holiday time - are so expensive.  I've read many Q customers are so turned off cuz China bought Smithfield.  I say - what's the big deal -still located in USA.  (not going to poision us)    Love the bone in.

Honored Contributor

Smiley SadSmiley SadSmiley Sad

Respected Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Love the bone in.

Yeah, that bone would make some good broth.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

I just can't get by the descriptions and pictures I saw of the filthy conditions under which Smithfield hogs were kept.  I suspect they're no better now that the company is Chinese-owned.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

Re: That Smithfield HAM

[ Edited ]

I would NEVER buy any Smithfield products. Chinese owned - NO thanks, I also don't eat ham - way too fatty and way too much sodium.

Respected Contributor

I quit buying ANYTHING from Smithfield years ago when it was exposed how inhumanely those poor animals were treated and I mean like tortured. They will never get my money no matter who owns them now.  Never.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624   worse.

@Kachina624 wrote:

I just can't get by the descriptions and pictures I saw of the filthy conditions under which Smithfield hogs were kept.  I suspect they're no better now that the company is Chinese-owned.

Honored Contributor

Re: That Smithfield HAM

[ Edited ]

it's not the sodium and fat (although I limit both) that is so worrisome about eating ham...there is an ethical consideration that is far more critical.  But I know that you also share this ethical concern as you don't purchase Chinese!Heart

@manhattan1950 wrote:

I would NEVER buy any Smithfield products. Chinese owned - NO thanks, I also don't eat ham - way too fatty and way too much sodium.

Honored Contributor

First of all, I will say this is simply some interesting facts about pigs.  Pigs are dirty animals, stink and often have a mean temper. 

I can't vouch for the accuracy here, but in a detailed article about raising pigs and the economic facts of it it says:

One really gains a sense for how calorie dense grain is when you realize that 380 eggs and 50 lbs of squash represent the calorie contents of just 18 lbs of grain. All our boiling and peeling of eggs and watering of winter squash saved just $4 in feed costs. In fact, if you expect to raise your own pigs and supply a significant portion of their calories from home-grown supplies, think again! Here’s a list of common homestead foods and the quantities required to produce the 2.5 million kcal needed to raise two pigs:

That is astonishing to me, even though I'm familiar with a lot of the economics of raising animals for meat.  It is from a blog called Farm Folly.