Honored Contributor

Re: Thanksgiving not so favorites.

In my family it was sweetened sweet potato casseroles of any kind (they're really a dessert IMO), we prefer baked sweet potatoes au naturel with butter, salt and pepper.

And green bean casserole, we had fresh green beans with ham flavoring, cooked with small new (red) potatoes or the green beans cooked by themselves and creamed small new potatoes as a separate side dish.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Won't touch that nasty green bean casserole made with cream of mushroom soup. Also never tried it and won't try it, oyster dressing. My mom always put the turkey giblets in the stuffing. Won't eat that either if it's got that in it. I just want plain old fashioned stuffing. 

Honored Contributor

@roxxy1 Oh!  Roxxy!  You make me smile.  I hesitate to say it.....but statistically, I think we just might be the weirdos?  Ha!

It's not hard to cook stuff I don't eat.  I just throw in a bunch of seasoning and everyone moans over the stuff!  Ha!

My husband's friend was a well known chef in the area.  He used to travel to the beach with my family every year.  He paid for his place at the beach by preparing all of our meals.

My late husband thought (and he was) the most amazing cook ever.  The chef told me once, "I just throw in a bunch of seasoning.  Just make sure to add lots of butter and salt in the stuff.  That's what makes restaurant food so good, mainly salt and butter.  If you ate like that you'd blow up like a balloon and weight 500 lbs".  Ha!

Honored Contributor

I bake a ham instead of a turkey.

Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

Sweetened sweet potatoes just plain make me gag.  Don't mind them cooked in a more savory way.

I hear that!   I love sweet potatoes but they are a savory dish for me.  Just either bake them or mash them, like a white potato, and they are amazing. 

I also would avoid that green bean thing with the gross canned CoM soup.   I do make a green bean dish, but it's a nice saute with mushrooms (fresh ones, of course), almonds, a bit of lemon, and pancetta.  

I just make what we like, although I don't know if I'll be doing it again this year as my physical challenges have really become more profound.  This would be 3 years in a row, as I broke my arm Sept of 2017 so I couldn't do it then and last year I couldn't manage all the work so he said, hey, I'll be happy if you just make me a ribeye and some green beans like I make them.  I also baked pumpkin pie, as he loves that, and it was a full dinner!

Honored Contributor

I can't stand candied yams and candied sweet potatoes.  My aunt always made a corn casserole on Thanksgiving that I didn't like, as I recall no one liked it but she made it year after year.  I also don't like mashed potatoes.  I make them because other people make them but I never ate mashed potatoes at any time in my life.  I actually don't care much for turkey the first day.  I like it a day or two later when I'm making  plate of leftovers.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt 

Are we married to the same man??? LOL!

He likes the same thing including the pumpkin pie which he likes to make!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I can't stand candied yams and candied sweet potatoes.  My aunt always made a corn casserole on Thanksgiving that I didn't like, as I recall no one liked it but she made it year after year.  I also don't like mashed potatoes.  I make them because other people make them but I never ate mashed potatoes at any time in my life.  I actually don't care much for turkey the first day.  I like it a day or two later when I'm making  plate of leftovers.

@chrystaltree  ,Your story about your aunt made me think of my great aunt's hamburger pie. It was gross, however, my great aunt was the sweetest woman, so when she made it we all raved, big mistake. Every time she visited she insisted on making it because we all liked it so much. It was awful. 😟

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

sweet potatoes for sure. i just pass them by, but i DO make them.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Contributor

I could do without the Turkey!!

I could just eat the stuffing and sweet potato casserole (no marshamllows) and be quite happy. I will eat one or two slices of turkey and that is it.

Now, my cats on the other hand can-not-wait for the turkey. We put it in a rotisserie and one cat will jump up on the island that is in sight-line of the bird going round and round. She will just sit there and stare at it until she falls asleep. Then when the bird comes out we have a serenade of meows!