Honored Contributor

Re: Thank Goodness for a Garage Refrigerator

We have a frig and a deep freeze in our attached garage and we have another frig up in our carriage house. You never can have enough refrigerators!

"Pure Michigan"
Trusted Contributor

It's just me and hubby and we have one refrigerator. 

Yes, there are times that we could use another one, but I really don't need to have tons of extra food in storage and pay for the extra electricity either.  I don't want to worry about having two to repair either.   

The local grocery store is just 1 mile away, so if I need something, I can always just jump in the car and go get it.

Respected Contributor

I have a counter depth fridge in my kitchen that doesn't hold enough for my 3 person household so my garage fridge is a necessity year round.

Honored Contributor

garage is the worst place for a fridge,  very hot to cold makes the fridge work harder. 

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear 

There are refrigerators made specifically to be housed in a garage.

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear   It's the only option we have for a second fridge.  Related to your point, though, we don't use it in winter because the garage gets colder than the interior of the fridge so the insulation works in an opposite way, so to speak, preventing anything inside from staying cold or frozen.  Our deep freeze is fine, it's just the fridge that acts like that. 

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@jackthebear 

There are refrigerators made specifically to be housed in a garage.

interesting

we have a 2nd in the basement, even more interesting is that it came with the house, so it will last forever 

Honored Contributor

I had my brothers old refer/freezer in the garage as well as a small upright freezer and used those things constantly. the fridge was an oldie--several years old but that thing always worked --you know the ones from 20 or more years ago were built to last and this one did---- it got sold with the rest of the appliances when I sold my house--now have a very small refer in my apartment so can't stock up on much. 

Honored Contributor

Our back-up fridge is in our lower level (we call it the dungeon). Don't like to keep fridges or freezers in the garage -gets too hot in the summer.