Honored Contributor

Any recommendation's, of which brand to buy?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I make my own, but have noticed that Kikkoman makes a boxed mix.  It is not very hard to make homemade: 

1 1/2 cups flour

1/2 cup cornstarch

1 egg

1 cup vodka

1 cup seltzer water

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I make my own, but have noticed that Kikkoman makes a boxed mix.  It is not very hard to make homemade: 

1 1/2 cups flour

1/2 cup cornstarch

1 egg

1 cup vodka

1 cup seltzer water

Du you have to use vodka?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest 

No, vodka is not required, as a matter of fact, I've never seen vodka as an ingredient for tempura batter.

I use:

• 1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups cornstarch
  • 2 cups club soda
  • Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Know you can fry up vegetables, seafood, or anything else you desire.
  • Heat vegetable oil to 350 degrees.
  • Dip vegetables into the batter, and deep fry the vegetables until they are a pale golden brown.
  • Drain cooked vegetables on a wire rack.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I've always added the vodka, so I don't know if leaving it out makes a difference in the outcome.  I remember an episode of "America's Test Kitchen" where they said that adding vodka to tempura makes the batter light and crispy.

Respected Contributor

I, too, make my own and use beer.

It's easy - try it, you'll like it.

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest @I make my own or use Golden Dipt. I think the company is owned by McCormick. It's good. ICE YOUR WATER, don't fry too many pieces at a time, control the oil temperature. You will need lots of paper towels. Tempura can be a little messy. 
Sliced sweet potatoes are delicious.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@goldensrbest @I make my own or use Golden Dipt. I think the company is owned by McCormick. It's good. ICE YOUR WATER, don't fry too many pieces at a time, control the oil temperature. You will need lots of paper towels. Tempura can be a little messy. 
Sliced sweet potatoes are delicious.

This is what I do as well .. depends on what I'm frying up. W/ seafood I use the Golden Dipt w/ beer instead of water and add a tsp of Old Bay seasoning. Lots of time they stock the Golden Dipt near the meat/seafood sections in a store. W/ veggies, I tend to make my own batter ... still use beer ... don't add the Old Bay.

Enjoy. Love tempura batter anything.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."