Honored Contributor

During my unfortunate incarceration, I found myself drinking a lot of tea, and hubby drinking it too--black, green, herbal, or blends.  I have my old faithful electric kettle, and it was going all day.  

SO, for my birthday, I gifted myself with an electric water boiler!  It's the best thing since my bread maker!  LOL!!!

We have hot water to dispense at any time during the day.  It's a miracle!  I am in love with it!  We use it for tea, oatmeal, cocoa and it is especially great for having iced tea any time we want it!  From what I read I think it probably uses no more or maybe less than boiling water so often in that kettle. 

I got a ForLife tall glass pitcher (Takeya has a similar one and I didn't see mine on Amazon recently)  with a big stainless tea filter that fits in the bottom and you can make a quart of iced tea in no time what that!  It is wonderful!  

SO, during this stay-at-home time we are well fixed for beverages and oatmeal, cups of noodles or anything else that starts with hot water.

I didn't know these things existed until recently, but water boiler is my new favorite kitchen appliance!  

Respected Contributor

Glad you're happy with your kettle.

I love my electric tea kettle too. I have a gorgeous stove top kettle I bought at Crate and Barrel long ago. But the electric kettle boils water so much faster. I use it daily for tea. 

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner  I don't really know what the boiler is (I will Google), but had to comment...I love, love, love your title "Tea Time, I Splurged"!  Squeals of glee.  This is absolutely wonderful.  Happy Birthday, sweetie!  Cheers (clink of bone china tea cups)!

Honored Contributor

@Sooner I know what an electric kettle is.   Is the water boiler you're using now connected directly to a water supply?  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

During my unfortunate incarceration, I found myself drinking a lot of tea, and hubby drinking it too--black, green, herbal, or blends.  I have my old faithful electric kettle, and it was going all day.  

SO, for my birthday, I gifted myself with an electric water boiler!  It's the best thing since my bread maker!  LOL!!!

We have hot water to dispense at any time during the day.  It's a miracle!  I am in love with it!  We use it for tea, oatmeal, cocoa and it is especially great for having iced tea any time we want it!  From what I read I think it probably uses no more or maybe less than boiling water so often in that kettle. 

I got a ForLife tall glass pitcher (Takeya has a similar one and I didn't see mine on Amazon recently)  with a big stainless tea filter that fits in the bottom and you can make a quart of iced tea in no time what that!  It is wonderful!  

SO, during this stay-at-home time we are well fixed for beverages and oatmeal, cups of noodles or anything else that starts with hot water.

I didn't know these things existed until recently, but water boiler is my new favorite kitchen appliance!  

I have one too, it's the best 

Honored Contributor

Zojirushi CD-WCC30 Micom Water Boiler & Warmer, Silver

Honored Contributor

@jackthebearThank you.    Way better than having to do plumbing for what I was imagining.

Honored Contributor

@deeva @Misplaced Parisian @millieshops No, it isn't connected to a water supply, and that's good!  LOL!!!

Turns out we drink a lot of iced tea in the summer, and now that both are home, my husband has started drinking a lot more tea too--hot or cold.  

I had seen these and didn't really think it would be something I'd ever use, but a few weeks ago I read about one on one of the tea company websites (Cultured Cup maybe?).

The more I thought about having access to almost instant boiling or hot water the better it sounded!  Turns out we use it many times a day and as it gets hotter we'll have fresh iced tea made in smaller batches too!

So I thought maybe someone else might not know about them.  A lot of different companies make them and I just bought the Zo because I love my bread machine and rice cooker so much!  And it was my birthday and I am old and have nowhere to go!  Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@Sooner Happy Birthday & enjoy your new gift to yourself! Smiley Happy

Now I'm off to check out water boilers.

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@Sooner Happy Birthday & enjoy your new gift to yourself! Smiley Happy

Now I'm off to check out water boilers.

@haddon9 LOL!!!  It's basically a pot like jack the bear posted above, has a tank in it, you fill it with water and it boils the water then keeps it at a select temp. all day.  It doesn't use a lot of electricity (the Zojirushi ones have a chart showing how much on their site or if you go look at the user manual online).

It keeps water at 160 (some are 140), 175,195 or 208; and the one I bought will reboil the water if you want OR it will quickly heat water to 195.  It takes a little longer to reboil.

So since I drink a lot of black tea, I'll leave it at 195 or 208 and for all the bagged teas I've tried it is fine!  For large loose leaf, I would reboil it probably.  

BUT I also use it for oatmeal when I get up (either regular instant or regular or Bob's Redmill Instant in paper cups if I am REALLY lazy).  It would make other things that need not water too.  

SO, it's all new to me, and we both love it!  Oh and it has a timer so we put it on standby every night and almost always empty and refill the water.  But a few times we've just added water and haven't died or noticed a difference in flavor.  But mostly we use fresh water. 

And some have a non-stick coating on the tank; I bought a stainless one.