Reply
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,984
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

I love them and always keep in the freezer.  This week beginning today my local grocery store is selling them buy one and get another for a penny.  I will be on it.

I bring salads and soups to work daily and if there are any left over tots from dinner (even if only one) I just throw it into my lunch bowl.  You can still taste a bit of potato even if you do not see it.

Love them tots!!

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 18,782
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Maybe because my mother resisted the trend toward processed foods, I had never tasted a tater tot until I was an adult. I did not like them at all. They were salty and had a weird texture. Every once in a while I see casserole recipes that include them, usually along with one or two cans of cream soup,  mostly in books geared toward they type of cooking so popular a few decades ago. They just don't appeal to me in any way.

 

Blech


 

 

That looks revolting.


That was the idea. Smiley Wink

 

When you post a pic here, you have to give it a title. If you put your cursor on this pic, you'll see my title.

 

 


Haha! Blech! I didn't know you could do that. I figured you thought it wasn't appealing looking either.


@Irshgrl31201: I'd just as soon not have to title a picture, but when I try to leave it out, it doesn't seem to work.

 

I do agree with others that many casseroles probably wouldn't garner a beauty award. That is true.


~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 20,532
Registered: ‎11-03-2013

@HonnyBrown wrote:

mtc, that is good to know about Aldi's!

 

I woke up early this morning and thought about making a breakfast Tater Tot dish with salsa and eggs.  By the time I finished the recipe in my head, I fell asleep again.

 

When I did get out of bed at normal time, hubby asked if I wanted breakfast.  I had a banana.


I had a banana . . . tee hee! . . . Honny, have you ever used tater tots in the rice cooker and if so do you put them in frozen or do you let them thaw overnight?

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 33,833
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

i buy my tater tots from schwans home delivery......they have two kinds...... regular and cheesey!

 

 

 

4.6 out of 5 stars

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

4.5 out of 5 stars

**************************************************
"If everything around you seems dark, look again. You may be the light." - Rumi
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,991
Registered: ‎01-30-2015

I do them in the rice cooker all the time...frozen, if you put hem in the bottom they get crusty

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 20,532
Registered: ‎11-03-2013

@mothertrucker wrote:

I do them in the rice cooker all the time...frozen, if you put hem in the bottom they get crusty


Oh perfect mothertrucker, thank you! . . . I can't wait to try this tomorrow morning . . . yum!

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,539
Registered: ‎11-23-2013

Hubby and I went to an upscale, waterfront restaurant on Saturday.  Crab Tate Tots were on the menu as an appetizer.

 

I thought they were going to becafeteria tater tots topped with crab dip.  These were made with lump crab, finely diced potatoes, rolled in panko and lightly fried.  They were served in a cone over crispy rice noodles with a roasted pepper aioli for dipping.

 

These were so good!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 20,532
Registered: ‎11-03-2013

@HonnyBrown wrote:

Hubby and I went to an upscale, waterfront restaurant on Saturday.  Crab Tate Tots were on the menu as an appetizer.

 

I thought they were going to becafeteria tater tots topped with crab dip.  These were made with lump crab, finely diced potatoes, rolled in panko and lightly fried.  They were served in a cone over crispy rice noodles with a roasted pepper aioli for dipping.

 

These were so good!


OMG, these sounds insane! . . . I am not a huge seafood fan but I would order those in a heartbeat . . . talk about yum . . . hope you and your hubby had a great time.  Sounds like a lovely evening!

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,539
Registered: ‎11-23-2013

mtc, I got rid of my Oster rice cooker after I realized my rice turned out better on the stove top.  In the rice cooker, the bottom was burnt, the middle soggy and the top was raw.  Every single time, no matter what changes or type of rice or liquid I used.

 

I make the tater tots in the oven.

 

Did you get them from Aldi's?  I saw them over the weekend.

 

Hubby and I had an absolutely wonderful meal, day and evening!  We went to the restaurant for lunch.  It was hearty enough to fill you up, but light enough that it didn't weigh you down.  Afterwards, we went for a walk that lead to a pedestrian bridge over a freeway bridge.  It was lovely!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 20,532
Registered: ‎11-03-2013

@HonnyBrown wrote:

mtc, I got rid of my Oster rice cooker after I realized my rice turned out better on the stove top.  In the rice cooker, the bottom was burnt, the middle soggy and the top was raw.  Every single time, no matter what changes or type of rice or liquid I used.

 

I make the tater tots in the oven.

 

Did you get them from Aldi's?  I saw them over the weekend.

 

Hubby and I had an absolutely wonderful meal, day and evening!  We went to the restaurant for lunch.  It was hearty enough to fill you up, but light enough that it didn't weigh you down.  Afterwards, we went for a walk that lead to a pedestrian bridge over a freeway bridge.  It was lovely!


Yes I bought the coins last week but to be honest I am completely ingrained in a half bagel and two slices of deli ham for breakfast cycle which I can't seem to break.

 

Your day/dinner sounds lovely.  I am so happy that you and your husband had such a wonderful time.  It's nice to see good things happen for nice people like you!