Respected Contributor

TURKEY QUESTION BRINE AND BUTTER RUB?

We're getting an organic free range turkey this year which is a first for me.  I see a lot of you like to brine these birds and I was wondering if brining and then slathering a butter rub under the skin can still be done or would it be better to just do one or the other?  Which preperation would you reccomend between the two?  Thanks all for any and all suggestions and help!

Honored Contributor

Re: TURKEY QUESTION BRINE AND BUTTER RUB?

Sure, why not?  Since you are getting one that isn't pumped full of other stuff (I also get organic, free-range), you can do all that.

I brine mine and make up a dry rub.   Might as well rub him down with butter to get the dry rub to stick.  Smiley Happy   I don't go under the skin ONLY because I tend to have a hard time handling raw poultry so I cannot see clear to stick my hand in there.  But that's just me, so I would recommend it.  Heck, I'd recommend it to myself if I could get myself to do it.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Thanks, Chickenbutt!  I just needed a little reassurance.  I feel like this turkey is more of an investment than a meal!  I'm having fun looking up brining recipies to go with the compound butter.

I'm excited to try something new! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well, it is an expense but I figure that the 'per serving' price is low so it makes it still worth paying for the quality.

I get about a 15lb turkey and spend some $25-$30 for it, but we get a zillion servings out of it.

Aside from eating from it for a week, I always freeze one whole breast plus a few packets of slices, and at least one 2lb packet of scraps for turkey chili.  Of course, I vacuum seal all of that in bags so that it stays pristine in the freezer.

When I take my turkey from the brine, I rinse it well before putting it up onto the rack in the roasting pan.  Also, be sure to pat it dry and give it some time to further dry out.  

I just use a v-rack that I've had for years in a clad baking pan.  The rack is nonstick for easy clean up but the roasting pan doesn't need to be.  I've used the same clad roasting pan for years and you'd think it's brand new. 

Since I only use that roasting pan once a year I put it right back in its box every year and stash it away until next time - the rack is padded and sits inside the pan so I don't have to find any of it.  It's all together.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Thanks Very much for the How To CB!  A lot of the recipies say to pat dry but not rinse out the brined bird. I think I'll follow your lead that way and let it hang out on the roasting rack for a bit too.  Then do the butter.  CB, could you try using a long handled wooden spoon to do the separating and shove cool butter medallions into place?  I keep my roaster and rack in it's box too!  Gotta know where that baby is!  

Honored Contributor

That's a good idea.  Thanks!  Smiley Happy   I am just so squeamish about handling raw poultry.

I even have a pair of rubber (or whatever they are made of) gloves that are my 'poultry handling gloves'.  I keep these in my bucket so I always know where they are and never use them for anything else.  Of course I scrub them after use and dry them out.

One year my husband bought me a 5 gallon bucket at Walmart or somewhere and I just have all my turkey supplies in there with the lid snapped on and I keep it in the garage all year.

I also buy brining bags that 'zip' up.  I put a bag in the bucket and fold the excess length over the bucket so I can easily slip the turkey in there and pour the cooled brining liquid over him that also has a bunch of ice in it.

Then I put a towel over the tip of the zipped up bag and some ice packs atop that.  Then I put the bucket on my washing machine with some more ice packets on it and a towel wrapped around it with some of those sheets of ice thingies.  It stays cool in there and it's safe for overnight. 

Smiley Happy  Too much info?  Don't get me started!  hehe

Respected Contributor

Never too much info where cooking is concerned!  I'm a sponge.  Speak On Learned one!  Honestly.  There's always more to know!  I totally get the poultry thing.  I'll look for the bags that zip closed, they sound secure.  Thanks, Chickenbutt!

Respected Contributor

Chickenbutt, I'm your long-lost twin.  I HATE handling poultry, too!

Denise
Contributor

The only thing I would caution those who might brine their turkey;  the drippings can be too salty to use for gravy.  I roast turkey parts (wings, drumsticks, thighs) the week before and then use them to make my stock for the gravy and to use in my dressing/stuffing.

Respected Contributor

CELEBRATION, Thank you for the heads up on that!  I'll check with the "Gravy Master" in the household and see if he uses pan drippings. This turkey is a group effort! I'll roast and this year my BIL wants to  make his gravy. He uses the giblets but I'm not sure what else.   Thanks to your tip I have time to thwart possible disaster!