Honored Contributor

@denisemb wrote:

mtc, I'm sorry you didn't like your grill.  Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

We always bring the meats to room temp and pat them dry, I wonder if that makes a difference?  Have done frozen hamburgers and I agree they don't brown as well.

I am truly bummed.  The only frozen thing I tried on there was a hamburger patty which recommended cooking from frozen.  It didn't seem to matter what I did, the meat stayed mostly gray with grill marks and keeping things on those ceramic plates was a nightmare.

Again, bummer.

Respected Contributor

Wow, you just made me wonder - I bought my Optigrill awhile back at Walmart and it has non-stick, not ceramic plates.  Hmmmm.

Denise
Honored Contributor

@denisemb wrote:

Wow, you just made me wonder - I bought my Optigrill awhile back at Walmart and it has non-stick, not ceramic plates.  Hmmmm.

I don't want to alarm anyone.  If you are happy with yours you are in good company because the reviews are great.  The first time I used it was with sliced potatoes and it was a nightmare keeping those things on there but was willing to give it more of a chance (they did recommend using skewers with veggies but I am here to tell you I would not be to happy to have to do that each time.  I thought I could get around that but they were right, you do need those skewers).

Meat stays on great but my grill just didn't "grill" it.  To me, it was more steamed with the meat being very gray except for the grill marks.   I gave it several tries before I packed it up this morning.

I'm usually pretty adaptable with things but this one was just a big no thank you for me especially for the price . . . Smiley Sad

New Contributor

350 degrees is the default temperature.  I just used mine for the first time over the weekend and I LOVE IT.  My steak (which is expensive nowdays) was cooked perfectly without being over-done.  Some folks spoke of foods sliding off the ceramic plates.  I did hold mine on until they began to sear on the bottom, then I closed the top.  Talking about maybe 15 seconds that I held the steaks by lying a knife across the top of them.  When they began to sear, they stayed on the plates.   BUT the pro to the "slick" plates is that clean up was amazing!  I did what they did on TV demo:  I wiped off what was left on the plates from cooking two steaks with just a damp washcloth.  I was so pleased and surprised.  I have the Geo Foreman Indoor/Outdoor Grill and it has ceramic plates, too, but it isn't anywhere this easy to clean!  I mean I wiped it gently;  I didn't even have to scrub!   I think you will enjoy the grill.  I can't wait to get back to cooking on it.  I want to try frzen Chicken Tenders next.  Let me know how you feel about it later.

Frequent Contributor

MTC,

Have you considered the George Foreman Evolve grill with the ceramic plates that also came with the waffle maker?  It has a smaller footprint than the Optigrill and it has a "Sear" function.   We bought it and have been happy with the results.  I don't see them on QVC right now, but I've seen them on Amazon and Walmart...just make sure they say "ceramic grill plates".

Just a thought.....

Esteemed Contributor

Oh that's too bad it didn't work out for you.  I did steaks again last night and left them on a little longer and they really browned up alot.  Maybe the teflon is the difference. 

Honored Contributor

I just want to say thanks to everybody for their feedback and suggestions.  I think I'll be watching for a good price on one of those George Foreman grills.  I know with the holiday season coming up there should be some sales coming soon.

Thanks again everybody, I really appreciate it!

Contributor

I really enjoy my Opti-Grill with ceramic plates.  I do have a question, though.  Can a sticky sugary glaze (honey, bbq sauce, etc) be used on the foods?   If so, would I put it on at the beginning of cooking or wait until the food is near done?   I don't recall seeing any presentations where a sugary type glaze is used.