Respected Contributor

TSV Instant Pot - Let's discuss and learn together! 🤯

[ Edited ]

My DH and I used it after doing the water test and used the manual setting to cook a marinated pot roast with taters and veggies. I marinated it overnight, I was scared to use sauté and get burn message... Turned out fabulous, epic success, leftover shredded beef for several meals!!  

But I have questions, can’t find answers on the net... The tiny manual is very lame- 

We cooked a 3lb Pot roast that I cut in half, so selected the manual setting for 90 minutes, and 2 things were surprising.... The keep warm button automatically went on, and the IP defaulted to low pressure. We manually turned off keep warm , and changed to high pressure- Has anyone noticed these ?  

Anyone have a feel for estimating how long de-pressurizing will take? This roast took forevah! 

What else have you noticed? 

DH is actually getting into it, since it’s a manly tool, yay! He is going to try yogurt next... I’ll keep ya posted! 

Thanks IP-ers! 💝👏🏼👏🏼

Honored Contributor

Re: TSV Instant Pot - Let's discuss and learn together! 🤯

@Skyegirl21 : I purchased mine at Walmart. Still learning but noticed that I use the manual setting a lot. On average mine takes about 10 minutes to reach pressure and start cooking, but this is still faster than my older Cuisinart pressure cooker. I do prefer the IP because much easier and quicker to set it up and open and close the lid. I really like the stainless steel pot. I am looking for healthy recipes to help with weight loss. Enjoy and have fun. Southern Bee 

Valued Contributor

My experience has been exactly like yours.  I don’t know why the “keep warm” light is on either and I just turn it off manually.  The instruction manual is woefully incomplete.  The pot itself works just fine.  I guess using it will be a learning experience of trial and error.

Honored Contributor

@Skyegirl21 wrote:

My DH and I used it after doing the water test and used the manual setting to cook a marinated pot roast with taters and veggies. I marinated it overnight, I was scared to use sauté and get burn message... Turned out fabulous, epic success, leftover shredded beef for several meals!!  

But I have questions, can’t find answers on the net... The tiny manual is very lame- 

We cooked a 3lb Pot roast that I cut in half, so selected the manual setting for 90 minutes, and 2 things were surprising.... The keep warm button automatically went on, and the IP defaulted to low pressure. We manually turned off keep warm , and changed to high pressure- Has anyone noticed these ?  

Anyone have a feel for estimating how long de-pressurizing will take? This roast took forevah! 

What else have you noticed? 

DH is actually getting into it, since it’s a manly tool, yay! He is going to try yogurt next... I’ll keep ya posted! 

Thanks IP-ers! 💝👏🏼👏🏼

use the meat setting I use that for corned beef and usually about 30- 45 minutes and it's perfect

I don't think I use the manual setting at all 

and then I release the pressure valve manually 

I mentioned before that theres many blogs/pinterest pages on pressure cooking to check out, 

Honored Contributor

I've got one, but, use it mainly for beans. Probably a way to de pressurlize manually, most appliances have that.

I still like the plain pressure cookers, myself. Instant Pot is to instant for me.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

I've got one, but, use it mainly for beans. Probably a way to de pressurlize manually, most appliances have that.

I still like the plain pressure cookers, myself. Instant Pot is to instant for me.

@SharkE How long do you do pinto beans?  Do you pre-soak them?  

Honored Contributor

you can and it would cut down on cooking time if they're pre softened.

I usually do great northern beans. 8 cups of water, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, (to keep them from foaming) cup of beans or 3/4's (husband won't eat what he calls 'corn pone' way I was bought up in Ind.) throw in some salt pork or ham chunks, season with bacon grease.  I cook mine from dry hard bean in instant pot for no more then 35 min. Usually at 32 min they need just a tad more time.   Season to taste with salt and pepper.

pre softened beans probably would take in the Instant Pot no more then 20 minutes. I eat for the fiber, so, I don't want them mushy.

Beans of any kind are the best thing for you, fiber galore, no fats.

Probably are a little fat in mine LOL because of the salt pork and bacon grease, but, that's OK. LOL  If you have a loaf of homemade bread that's all you need in the world.

(they put me on cholesterol pill, so, I can go back to butter by the way )

don't go whole hog or nothing, but, hopefully I can throw out Butter Buds and all that other junk I bought to replace butter, now, I'm reverting back to 'nature'. LOL  We'lll see at blood test in March if I'm down from 223.

Honored Contributor

Beans....definitely!

I soak my beans overnight.

Just fill waterline about an inch over beans.

Press ‘BEANS’ button.

Natural release. 

Respected Contributor

For most cooking, leave your keep warm button on.  The function will not turn on until all cooking is complete and the pot has cooled to about 140-145 degrees.  Then the function turns on to keep your food at a food-safe temp.  Also, if you keep the button turned on, it will show how long the pot has been naturally releasing the pressure.

Most meats should only have the pressure be naturally released.  Quick releasing will toughen meat.  I highly advise watching some YouTube videos on how to use your Instant Pot correctly.  This blog post gives lots of good links to helpful videos...a must-watch to learn how to use your pot correctly:

http://www.easyaspiecanbe.com/2018/11/should-i-buy-electric-pressure-cooker.html

Super Contributor

Most people use three buttons on the IP - Manual  (called Pressure Cook on some IP models), Saute and Keep Warm. They don't use the pre-sets. You'll also find the recipes in the vast majority of cookbooks and recipes online use those buttons as well and not the presets. Find the recipe you want, saute if called for, press Manual and the time and you're off and running.