Honored Contributor

I like sweet potatoes...no one else will eat them..does anyone know of a 'frozen' dish that I can just purchase at the grocery that is tasty?  I know they are easy to make but I do all the cooking for the meal and that would be just one more thing I would have to prepare.

Trusted Contributor

Either bake one or nuke it.  Add butter, cinnamon and brown sugar or to taste.

Boop

Respected Contributor

@flbettyboop wrote:

Either bake one or nuke it.  Add butter, cinnamon and brown sugar or to taste.

Boop

That's the way I do them, love them

Esteemed Contributor

I bake my sweet potatoes. They are a very hard vegetable to cook in the microwave.

Honored Contributor

I like them too and sometimes I will pick one up and just bake it like a baked potato and put butter and sugar free maple syrup on it.  Not the same as candied yams but much less calories and high in fiber.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

I bake my sweet potatoes. They are a very hard vegetable to cook in the microwave.

My microwave has a baked potato(s) setting.  I just poke a few holes in the potato with a fork and lay them out on the turntable, pointy end facing towards the center.  Hit the baked potato setting, and voila! baked sweet potatoes.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

We also just bake them or make mashers.  We both LOVE sweet potatoes.  But I never liked the idea of gunking them up with a bunch of sugary stuff.  For us, they are a savory dish.

Baking is pretty easy, if you aren't able to find a pre-made, frozen, dish to your liking.  I just  rub mine down with olive oil, then hit them with some s&p,  into a shallow baking dish and in the oven.

Or, for mashers I like to grate up some asiago, or other hard cheese, bake them like I just did above, take the skins off and hand-mash with the asiago, a bunch of butter, and s&p.   Delightful!  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

If you're near a Bob Evans restaurant, you can get a container of sweet potatoes that's hot & prepared to go.

I believe Cracker Barrel has them for carry out, too.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

We also just bake them or make mashers.  We both LOVE sweet potatoes.  But I never liked the idea of gunking them up with a bunch of sugary stuff.  For us, they are a savory dish.

Baking is pretty easy, if you aren't able to find a pre-made, frozen, dish to your liking.  I just  rub mine down with olive oil, then hit them with some s&p,  into a shallow baking dish and in the oven.

Or, for mashers I like to grate up some asiago, or other hard cheese, bake them like I just did above, take the skins off and hand-mash with the asiago, a bunch of butter, and s&p.   Delightful!  Smiley Happy

Same here; makes 'em too sweet.

I bake, zap, or mash 'em with EVOO or butter, Himalayan pink sea salt, & black pepper.

Sometimes garlic as well.

Gotta try the hard cheese you recommended, too.  *drools*

Respected Contributor

French fries are about the only thing I see in the freezer section.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*