Honored Contributor

We used my new little 4 qt. slow cooker again this Sunday and it worked great!  We did three chicken breasts and a can of diced tomatoes with a little chicken base flavoring and cooked them this morning.

Appliances got a workout--the 3 qt Instant Pot fixed sweet potatoes, and the rice cooker made some great white rice, which was eaten with the diced tomatoes from the chicken.  We also had some fresh asparagus that was steamed.

All in all, it was a healthy meal we didn't have to worry about cooking for an after church meal, and the cleanup was easy to put in the dishwasher.  I love that little slow cooker!  It's the only one I have liked in a very long time.  The interior is white, which I much prefer, it is light weight, and being small we make enough food to cook well for two people--unlike in a bigger slow cooker. 

And the leftover rice, chicken and asparagus with some bell pepper and onion added will make good fried rice. 

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner  I have that little Instant Pot multicooker. I've never used a slow cooker and don't have the knack of it. But I think multicookers have settings for slow cook, right? Have you ever used that feature of your Instant Pot, and did it work for you?

Honored Contributor

@KaySD wrote:

@Sooner  I have that little Instant Pot multicooker. I've never used a slow cooker and don't have the knack of it. But I think multicookers have settings for slow cook, right? Have you ever used that feature of your Instant Pot, and did it work for you?

@KaySD No, I've never tried the slow cook function.  The 3 quart is mostly too little or the wrong shape and the 6 quart is too big and also not a great shape.

I bought an inexpensive 4 qt. Hamilton Beach oval slow cooker that is the right shape, very light weight, has a white ceramic inner liner that is a breeze to clean up too.  It is exactly the size and shape for most of what the two of us would cook in it.  

The instant pot is just not the right thing for pieces of chicken etc.  But we use it a lot for many things. 

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@KaySD wrote:

@KaySD No, I've never tried the slow cook function.  The 3 quart is mostly too little or the wrong shape and the 6 quart is too big and also not a great shape.

I bought an inexpensive 4 qt. Hamilton Beach oval slow cooker that is the right shape, very light weight, has a white ceramic inner liner that is a breeze to clean up too.  It is exactly the size and shape for most of what the two of us would cook in it.  

The instant pot is just not the right thing for pieces of chicken etc.  But we use it a lot for many things. 

@Sooner Thanks! Yeah, I only use the pressure cooker function of the instant pot. I'm not attached to that brand, either, they just had a little one. You're right, it won't hold much...but still should work okay on the slow cook function--maybe I'll try it and see what happens. 

Honored Contributor

@KaySD wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@KaySD wrote:

@Sooner Thanks! Yeah, I only use the pressure cooker function of the instant pot. I'm not attached to that brand, either, they just had a little one. You're right, it won't hold much...but still should work okay on the slow cook function--maybe I'll try it and see what happens. 

@KaySD Oh boy!  Report back! Woman Wink  I have had a lot of pressure cookers (I'm old) and I will say the Instant Pot has a much easer lid to get fastened and cooks better than any other one I've had.  

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@KaySD wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@KaySD wrote:

@KaySD Oh boy!  Report back! Woman Wink  I have had a lot of pressure cookers (I'm old) and I will say the Instant Pot has a much easer lid to get fastened and cooks better than any other one I've had.  

@Sooner Okay, I will. Tell me a good recipe to try, that will fit in the little pot.

This is my first purchase from this brand (I mean Instant Pot). I have had a big multicooker from ******or for years, and love it, but never used the slow cook function. Never learned any recipes for it, I guess. Then I got a little Cook's Essentials, and liked that, but I haven't found that brand to last very long. Then I got the little IP and I'm pretty happy with it. Not as easy to use as my big ******or, but it's nimble. 

Honestly, I think with a multicooker and a countertop oven/air fryer, I could do wihout a stove. Well, I might keep my beloved tiny bread machine...

Honored Contributor

@KaySD wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@KaySD wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@KaySD wrote:

@Sooner Okay, I will. Tell me a good recipe to try, that will fit in the little pot.

This is my first purchase from this brand (I mean Instant Pot). I have had a big multicooker from ******or for years, and love it, but never used the slow cook function. Never learned any recipes for it, I guess. Then I got a little Cook's Essentials, and liked that, but I haven't found that brand to last very long. Then I got the little IP and I'm pretty happy with it. Not as easy to use as my big ******or, but it's nimble. 

Honestly, I think with a multicooker and a countertop oven/air fryer, I could do wihout a stove. Well, I might keep my beloved tiny bread machine...

@KaySD Woman Embarassed  We don't much use recipes but just cook stuff--with tomatoes around it, or something like that.

We mostly use the 3 qt. for sweet potatoes, pork tenderloin, hamburger made with taco spices and tomato juice, corn on the cob, turkey chili, brussels sprouts, eggs, anything we need a small amount of in a big hurry.  Sometimes we do boneless skinless chicken breasts in a sauce.  

You can also stack tortillas of the right size and beef or chicken, etc. and make a stacked tortilla dish after you cook the meat--take it out, cut it up and add sauces and cheese etc. as you stack then reheat and melt it all together in the cooker.

We love chicken and rice, so I would bet there are lots of ideas on the internet for that too but we've never made it in the IP.