Valued Contributor
On 2/4/2015 Daysdee said:
On 2/4/2015 walker said: I also use Lock and Lock. Winifred, I remember the container you mentioned....memories, memories!

I also use Lock n Lock. For saltines I leave them in the wrapper and put them in a L n L that fits the 4 sections. I also remember those containers.

ditto!

Honored Contributor

I hardly have to store crackers very long around here. We eat them pretty quickly so I just keep them in the original box.

Honored Contributor

I don't know why you couldn't put them in the refrigerator, but keeping them in Lock & Lock is enough. It often takes me a year or two to go through a box of crackers and they are always still fresh in L&L containers, in the cabinet.

ETA - one exception would be if your kitchen tends to be particularly warm. I don't run the heat in mine so there are always, even in summer when the West side of the house gets warm, cool cabinets. I just keep perishables in cool cabinets on the other side of my kitchen.

Heck, I have cereals (such as Grape Nuts, Cheerios, etc) that are a few years old in L&L and they are still just as fresh as when I first got them.

I go on cereal kicks and then, often just as quickly, I cannot stomach the thought of eating it (mostly because milk is gross. heh). So I will purchase a box of cereal and not finish it until the next time I'm on a cereal kick again. Often that's not for a few years after the last time.

The box of Cream of Wheat my husband purchased me a few years ago, when I couldn't eat solid food - I dug back into that last month after my oral surgery. Just as fresh as brand new and it will probably last me a couple more years because I don't use it that much unless I am on a soft/liquid diet.

All that said, I'm EXTREMELY food-picky so if any of those foods were not fresh I would not be able to put them in my mouth. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor
On 2/4/2015 adoreqvc said:

Read this link as it tells you the best ways to store crackers...and yes refrigeraton is one, freezer is another, etc.

http://www.stilltasty.com/fooditems/index/16994

TKS!!!

I have the square L & L to keep them in for freshness. I am wanting to know about Refrig-due to (my STORAGE space) more than anything.

Honored Contributor

I still store my 4 sleeves of saltines in my 2 same size 'saltines' tins that I inherited from my grandmother-in-law. These 2 tins have to be at least 60 yrs old - still work! Still keep my saltines fresh & crisp.

Respected Contributor
On 2/4/2015 TX-starlight said:
On 2/4/2015 adoreqvc said:

Read this link as it tells you the best ways to store crackers...and yes refrigeraton is one, freezer is another, etc.<br />

http://www.stilltasty.com/fooditems/index/16994

TKS!!!

I have the square L & L to keep them in for freshness. I am wanting to know about Refrig-due to (my STORAGE space) more than anything.

You are very welcome TX-starlight.

Glad I could offer the informational web site link you needed to address your concerns, so it will all work out well for you.

Honored Contributor

I keep crackers (in a zip lock bag) and have three different Pringle cans lined up at the bottom shelf of the door of my fridge. I have done it that way for years, always stay fresh and crisp.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

I use a clip on the bag and store in their original box or slip them into a ziplock bag.

Valued Contributor

I bought two sets of Lock & Lock similar to K40773, tall rectangular ones and use them more than others. They are great for dry goods like crackers, oatmeal, rice, brown sugar.Nice pantry sizes and they stack well. Don't know why, but I don't like round ones.