Respected Contributor

So, I made the Doberge Cake...

Thanks to everyone who made the suggestions for a birthday treat for my friend from New Orleans. I finally decided to make the Doberge cake, using a recipe from NOLA magazine, and in a fit of insanity chose to make a two-tone: Half chocolate and half lemon.

I did read the recipe to make sure I had all the ingredients on hand, but didn't read all the way through...I didn't realize it was basically six different recipes that then had to be assembled! I started at around 10 p.m., and it was after 4 a.m. by the time I finished. {#emotions_dlg.crying} I also didn't take into account the fact that I was having a problem with sciatica, and all those hours on my feet (it was all hands-on time except for when the cakes were in the oven) did me in - I could hardly walk for the next two days.

Anyway, while the cakes were baking I went to get on-line for a bit, and my laptop stopped working. I went to my tablet, and posted that fact on FB, and the guy I was making the cake for offered to fix it...so I didn't mind all the work so much.

When I gave him the cake he was thrilled - he said his twin sister was having one back home in New Orleans, he loved Doberge cake, and he knew he couldn't get one around here. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} He reported that it was very good.

I did make the layers thicker than they should have been, as they were supposed to be split in half, but I couldn't find my cake splitter and each layer was only about 1" high, so I didn't want to attempt it with toothpicks and dental floss. I ended up making another batch of layers, so the cake was almost a foot high.

If I ever made that cake again I think I'd take the easy way out and divide the batter among more pans, so I wouldn't even have to bother with splitting layers, and I'd probably double the amount of the chocolate pudding; Id have liked the filling to be more generous. The lemon curd was OK - I think there was enough of that.

Trusted Contributor

Re: So, I made the Doberge Cake...

Sorry that YOU had such issues, but glad that he enjoyed it..........{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Honored Contributor

Re: So, I made the Doberge Cake...

Wow, I don't know anything about this cake but I wish you'd taken a picture of it. Sounds like a masterpiece.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment