Respected Contributor

Re: Storing Wooden Cutting Board

@CherryHugs   My adult son makes beautiful wooden cutting boards and he said every time it's washed, you should use a mixture of mineral oil and bee's wax on it.  The mixture inhibits bacterial growth because it displaces water so it makes it very difficult for any organic matter to grow.  Here are two of his hand crafted cutting boards made of Rock Maple and Purple Heart wood.  20200417_113536.jpg 20200417_113536.jpg

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Respected Contributor

I keep my Boos wood cutting board out on the counter. No room for it elsewhere and I use it daily as a cutting board and landing pad for other things. I use plastic thin cutting mats to protect from a lot of products. I clean my board with cut lemon, kosher salt and warm water. I dry it over my sink and then use food grade mineral oil to keep it supple,

Respected Contributor

@ciao_bella wrote:

@CherryHugs   My adult son makes beautiful wooden cutting boards and he said every time it's washed, you should use a mixture of mineral oil and bee's wax on it.  The mixture inhibits bacterial growth because it displaces water so it makes it very difficult for any organic matter to grow.  Here are two of his hand crafted cutting boards made of Rock Maple and Purple Heart wood.  20200417_113536.jpg 20200417_113536.jpg

@ciao_bella These are STUNNING! Bravo to your son.

Respected Contributor

Mine is on the side of the toaster oven which butts against the fridge.  

Respected Contributor

I don't use my wooden cutting boards for cutting but I have one or two out all of the time as trivets - not taking chances with quartz countertops.  

Esteemed Contributor

@ciao_bellaand @CherryHugs - I love those artisan-crafted multi-wood cutting boards! The one I bought many years ago at a local art fair sits proudly on top of my countertop microwave, where it is easy to grab when needed and looks lovely in my kitchen when it's not in use. My flexible plastic cutting mats are tucked into a shallow drawer with my measuring spoons and cups for equally easy access.

Honored Contributor

Mine are standing up on my counter top near my stove--wooden, bamboo and hard poly  type---and I make sure they are all sanitized after I use them---and use the apppropiate one for meats, veggies and the rest--no bugs on my cutting boards. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have one large Boos board that I keep on the counter.  It's square and I actually have a knife thing and a couple small things on top of it, as I seldom use it (I love it, though!).

I have another Boos board that's even longer (rectangular) and has the bumps on it and the drains all around, that I use when I have to cut up a turkey.    That one, after using it, I clean it and then treat it with Boos Cream.  After it's totally dry it goes into a plastic bag and is stored under this storage ottoman that is at the foot of my bed.  

The other ones are just smaller pieces that I have in cabinets.   Most of the time I'm just doing stuff that is easily done on cutting mats so I have some of those in various sizes.  I do really love my Boos boards (can't beat them!) but I don't cook as much as I used to.  It's sad when you have so many great kitchen things that you seldom use anymore.  Smiley Sad

I also have an OXO small board that I use every day when fixing the house bird's breakfast and a larger one of the same that isn't used that much because I keep forgetting about it.   Those are nice for what they are, but they're not wood. They're that white hard stuff (plastic?) - I don't know but they are good to have.

Honored Contributor

I keep a few medium large plastic cutting boards under the sink and use them often.  I have a big basket full of large wooden cutting boards by my sideboard in the dining area by the kitchen.

I also have several attractive wooden boards standing up behind the Nespresso on the counter.  I can grab one to cut bread or put out a cheese and olive appetizer setup on short notice. 

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I don't use a wood cutting board.  They're unsanitary and can harbor bacteria. 

@Kachina624 

I thought as you do.  I was corrected years ago.

Many sources...... this quote Cooking Light.

But, it turns out, research shows that wood cutting boards are actually just as safe—if not safer—to use than plastic. Even though wood is harder to sanitize, and can’t go in the dishwasher, wood is naturally anti-microbial, whereas the gouges and crevices that inevitably happen when you're cutting on a plastic board offer plenty of ...

I bleach my plastic ones before putting in the dishwasher,  wood ones are pretty but just for bread, stuff like that,

meats ➡️ right into the dishwasher,