Honored Contributor

Storing Wooden Cutting Board

How and where do you store a wooden cutting board? I had it on my counter then stuck it in a cabinet and now I forget to use it LOL. Mine is about 9 by 12..

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

Re: Storing Wooden Cutting Board

I don't use a wood cutting board.  They're unsanitary and can harbor bacteria. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@CherryHugs wrote:

How and where do you store a wooden cutting board? I had it on my counter then stuck it in a cabinet and now I forget to use it LOL. Mine is about 9 by 12..

@CherryHugs, we keep our high-quality large butcher block on the counter next to our sink. Others are in a cabinet.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I store mine upright on my countertop along with my two plastic (whatever they are) ones.  I also just purchased a flexible cutting board over the weekend and they're all stacked together.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

I grew up with built in pull out wooden cutting boards under the counters and now I have almost an identical set up when I redid my entire kitchen.

Sure if you don't keep them clean and dry they can harbor bacterial, actually any surface can harbor bacterial.

To answer your question, store it in a place that's handy for you, a place where if you need it, just grab and go.  Some have storage under the stove, on the side of the cabinets or maybe in a pantry area.

I love my "breatboards", easy and convenient.

Actually I found the best Kitchen Antibacterial Cleaner, it's 

Lysol KitchenPro no harsh chemicals, no residue, just spray and wipe.

I found it at Target but it's hard to find in my area.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a round Boos board that does not require storage.

For those who are concerned about bacteria, I always cut food on a cheap paper plate on top of the board. In the trash when done. Easy cleanup, too.

Honored Contributor

I store mine vertically between the wall and my food processor and blender. It's handy , but out of the way.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I don't use a wood cutting board.  They're unsanitary and can harbor bacteria. 

@Kachina624 

I thought as you do.  I was corrected years ago.

Many sources...... this quote Cooking Light.

But, it turns out, research shows that wood cutting boards are actually just as safe—if not safer—to use than plastic. Even though wood is harder to sanitize, and can’t go in the dishwasher, wood is naturally anti-microbial, whereas the gouges and crevices that inevitably happen when you're cutting on a plastic board offer plenty of ...

Honored Contributor

I use mine with nothing on it  just for cutting breads. When I'm cutting meat, chicken, or vegetables I lay the heavy plastic cutting "boards" on top, so the wood is not exposed. Like @shoptilyadropagain I stand mine against the counter.

I also have a small tempered glass one that I keep in the drawer. I use it mostly for vegetables and fruit.  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Mine fits vertically on the top shelf of the pantry, in between the wall and boxes of cereal.

Cogito ergo sum