Super Contributor

Re: Store your onions in panty hose!!

On 1/30/2015 fthunt said:

After storing onions in a cut down paper grocery bag in the bottom of my refrigerator for years (just to keep onion skins from messing up the interior) - I read that it was the recommended way to keep onions fresh and from sprouting.

Don't close the bag - open so air can circulate - works fabulous.

What a great idea!! I've always kept potatoes and onions in the fridge, even though "they" tell you not to and I never had a problem. One time, I did leave potatoes out of the fridge and they turned into a puddle. Never, ever again.

Honored Contributor

When you open a block of cheese, like cheddar, wrap it in a paper towel that has been wet, then wrung out. It keeps the cheese fresh for a very long time.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

My knees are knobby enough as it is..........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

I tried that onion pantyhose suggestion. No good. The onions keep slipping down, making it hard for me to sit. What do you suggest?

Honored Contributor

On 1/31/2015 Campion said:

I tried that onion pantyhose suggestion. No good. The onions keep slipping down, making it hard for me to sit. What do you suggest?

Go up a size! {#emotions_dlg.lol}

~ house cat ~
Super Contributor

On 1/31/2015 house_cat said:
On 1/31/2015 Campion said:

Go up a size! {#emotions_dlg.lol}

{#emotions_dlg.lol} x2

Frequent Contributor

I use plastic wrap on the tips of the banana's (tie with rubber band, if it doesnt stay on) and that works great! Makes the banana's last over a week longer than normal. (i will have to try the foil like you mentioned OP and see if that works the same)

Also i wash cucumbers, wrap them (seperately) in a paper towel and then store in plastic bag in fridge. Helps the cuc's last longer as well too.

Respected Contributor

I'm of the paper towel and in a bag also. Green bags if I have them.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*