Honored Contributor

Spurtle. Am I missing something?

If you listen to the presentation, you'd think the wooden spoon is a new invention.

What am I missing?

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: Spurtle. Am I missing something?

I was sitting here thinking the same thing!  I think we are missing the "color" handles?  Is that what people are paying for?

I still love these gadget shows.  I am a gadgetgal.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

You haven't missed anything.  They're just trying to sell a product.

Respected Contributor

I agree with you, I m trying to be more mindful before I purchase something I don't need. Even if I ave the financial means to buy something, it is a possession I have store somewhere.

Honored Contributor

I love to watch the show whenever I can, but some of the items puzzle me.

Another one that leaves me scratching my head is this colander with the trap door. Is turning it upside down really that much trouble?

Here it is :-)

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

The Spurtle is based on an old Scottish kitchen tool that is pretty effective for cooking oats like oatmeal and leaves it smooth, creamy and without lumps.  It's the shape of the tool rather than "just a spoon".

Here's a little read on it:

http://www.porridgelady.com/2014/01/20/the-spurtle-customs-myths-legends-and-lump-free-porridge/

I love oatmeal and have eaten it all my life.  I prefer regular oats and cooking it rather than instant.  If you eat oatmeal daily, or even several times a week, you may be surprised at how effective these tools are..... Woman LOL 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not a fan of wooden tools because of bacteria, chipping, cracking, slivers,etc.

Bought some knives from this vendor when they were a tsv and the quality was inferior. 

Respected Contributor

It's not a spoon.  They really are a handy tool.  I myself was not sure about how the product would react to sauces and greasy products but they wash clean -- just as clean as any other material.  Sometimes you have to look outside the box and actually use something to see how they handle.

Respected Contributor

I have all kinds of wooden spoons.  As goofy as this sounds, I love my Spurtles.  I use them every single day.  They are the bomb when you need to get mayonnaise, peanut butter etc., out of jars.  Better than a spoon or spatula. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Having watched a few Spurtle presentations, I can't see any advantage that I don't already have, using a variety of different-shaped silicone spatulas, spreaders, spoons and scoops.

I love my silicone tools (although I avoid those that require pulling the silicone part off of a separate handle in order to wash it thoroughly.........it MUST be a one-piece utensil, to suit me).

If Spurtle can't be cleaned in the dishwasher and still survive years of use, it just isn't necessary or desirable in my kitchen.