Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@patticakes

One thing no one will tell you:

Be mindful in HOW you use Spiralized Vegetables.

It’s common to replace pasta, a main course, w/ Spiralized Veg.  

Great! But it’s much, much less calorie dense.

One doesn’t get satisfied...and begin consuming more calories.

Doubling up on oil, cheese, nuts, eggs, milk, meat to meet that

satisfaction will be much, much harmful in the long run.

Kinda negates any good you’re trying to do.

I would recommend NOT to use spiralized non-starchy veg

as your main course.  Stick with starchy vegetables.  

Spiralized starchy veg (like potato, squash) will give you the calories

needed to satisfy your satiation receptors.

Just remove the fatty oils & animal products for good results.

In the long run, pasta is still a healthy starch to eat on occasion.

I would just eat my pasta & use the spiralized veg as a side dish.

I don't at all agree with this post, and it hasn't been my experience in spiralizing either. But then I don't particularly like pasta. So spiralizing veg as a substitute has been a big benefit for me in that I can enjoy the flavors without pasta itself. I like my homemade marinara with zoodles. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Re: Spiralizing???

[ Edited ]

Check Amazon.  I downloaded a couple of cookbooks for the Spiralizer to my Kindle. 

Also - check allrecipes dot com and vegetarantimes dot com.  Those are my two favorite reccipe sites.

I frequently all zucchini "noodles" to spaghetti   (half/half).

Respected Contributor

along with @ALRATIBA suggestion if you can send kindle books from your library I found a lot on ours & of course hard copies if so inclined.

I am with you @jaxs mom , I love zoodles and find them satisfying with mushrooms . I had a pretty good garden this year where I could pick my own zuch , fresh tomatoes , basil , and a few puchased items and I was good to go. I do add pasta to DH's meal , usually the 'veggie'  or whole grain ones which are much more filling with smaller servings than traditional white flour ones.

Also we both find a spiralized (usually red ) onion tastes better than large cuts of onion. I love it in my salad and find a little adds just the right touch to it without overpowering and DH likes more. 

Valued Contributor

Does anyone know if the Veggie Bullet is anygood?  My daughter wants one.

Honored Contributor

I love spiralizing.   I do zoodles and use a proportion of 2/3 zoodles to 1/3 or less pasta.  It is filling, but not heavy.   I top it with homemade sauce that contains meat. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Spiralizing???

[ Edited ]

@jaxs mom  I like your signature quote. 

Nothing Brings a Group of Fools Together Faster Than Something That's None of Their Business
Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval

People can get very touchy when it comes to challenging their opinions/ways.  To each his own!

@sidsmom  I can understand the lack of calorie-dense foods and feeling hungry later.  I know several people that find "Chinese" food to be this way since it is often loaded with veggies.  I have a co-worker that is experimenting with going vegetarian.  He is a large, muscular man.  He is more of the variety to do it to say that they have tried it.  He went out to eat with us at Applebee's for a co-worker's promotion celebration.  He got artichoke cheese dip and French onion soup.  There are other options he could have gone for that could easily be turned into vegetarian-friendly, which his wife did suggest to him, but he opted for the dip and soup.  I'm not sure he is serious about the diet change, but he is making a somewhat half-hearted attempt.  I eat mainly vegetarian meals, which I did that day and his wife also recommend to him, but load it up with complex carbs and quality fruit and veg.  I love spiralizing zucchini and sweet potatoes for noodles, but I also enjoy many rice noodles from the Asian section of the grocery store.  I use them in many of my soups or hotpots.  I have tried rice based elbow noodles to make mac and cheese, but it is missing something.  I like left-overs, and they don't heat up well.  Rice noodles are fine in soups for re-heating but there is something about how they react with the mac and cheese.  I do think it has much to do with the recipe and other foods used.  I also love to make a roast and veg without the roast part.  I use lots of root veggies and mushrooms instead.  I toss them into the crockpot like a roast and do the recipe just like I had a roast.  It is great!  I just love veggies and beans!  Now I've got myself wanting a pot of lima beans and rice or greens and cornbread!

Respected Contributor
@janeec.....Oh butternut squash would be great! I'll have to pick one up and do that. I love steamed butternut squash with some butter on the top. I also love butternut squash soups! Thanks for the suggestion!
Valued Contributor

Last time I was in Barnes and Noble there were 3 spiralizing cookbooks in their bargain section. I think they were $6 each. 

There is a FB group dedicated just to spiralizing. Google chicken zoodle soup. That is the best soup!!