Super Contributor

Well, this is a memorable weekend for me.  My toaster died so I have to actually buy a new one.  I have never bought a toaster.  This one was given to me by a savings and loan when I opened a savings account.  And, my Hamilton Beech blender caught fire.  I loved those solid heavy weight glass blender jars.  That was a wedding present from 1976.  So I definitely got my value.  Hopefully I can find replacements that will also stand the test of time.  I know it was only a toaster and blender but it makes me sad...

Honored Contributor

Re: Small kitchen appliances

A few years ago, I needed a new hand mixer.  Most of the beaters were flimsy.  What a chore finding one!

Esteemed Contributor

I also keep small and large appliances for many years. I just replaced my 24 yr old Whirlpool refrigerator with another Whirlpool refrigerator. Several years ago, I got a new blender from Costco. Today appliances are meant to do several things - a lot more complicated.

Honored Contributor

Nothing is meant to last that's what it is.

I bought new LG refrig in Jan of 2019

I went to buy a new filter for it and was told it will be discontinued next yr.

Hope I can still get repairs on it. LG will stand by their extended warranties not like buying one thru Loew's or Home Depot.  LG's warranties sTART AFTER THE 1 YR MANUFACTURERS WARRANTY runs out

I got new Whirlpol washer, a basic one because I figure it will go out within

couple of yrs.

Esteemed Contributor

@SharkE , that is shocking to me.  Good grief, a six month old major appliances is outdated???  LM

Honored Contributor

All I can tell you is the salesman at Best Buy told me they will sell thru what they got of them then next yr be more new models. I had asked him "won't be to long I'm sure till this one is discontinued" he said "done has last yr for them".

One thing I'll share is he said if you have a repair call and they find a filter that is not theirs , LG's,  (that cost 60) but, maybe you have a generic one in there that is 7 bucks they will make you pay all costs even if its still under the one

yr manufacturers warranty. So, he said make sure you have a LG water filter in there or they will void your warranty.

I can send model # of the one I bought and paid 1350 for. Big 25ft one.  plenty of room really like it. I took out their LG not Best Buy's  3 yr extended warranty so I'll be covered for everything till 2023. 3 yrs starts in 2020.

Not like that other deal I was in here griping about that I paid for a plan thru Loew's and they count it from the original date of purchase and overide the 1 yr manufacturers warranty.    Mine went out one month after the warranty expired I thought I had another yr left !

Esteemed Contributor

I have a KA 4 slice toaster. Bought it here. At least 10 yrs old, still going strong.

Also have a KA blender with 40 ounce? glass jar. That thing is 10+ years old as well. Still going strong.

Esteemed Contributor

@lilypadfrog  ..... if you can check consumer reports.  I am looking to purchase a 4 slice toaster.  So I logged into my consumer reports account on line and was able to do some research.  I have decided to go with a Hamilton Beech.  

Honored Contributor

Being a hoarder, of sortsSmiley Embarassed, for small kitchen appliances---big sigh----I donated 4 of them yesterday---a Kuerig, a spiralizer machine, CE electric mandoline, and a stainless steel pasta maker---another big sigh------as well as -----huge sigh-----a breadmaker, Nuwave-like oven, juicer, and a few other ones too----SIGHHHHH--

have cleared out most my house to get ready to move out while construction is done. I will not replace these for new ones tho--am over all that now, but it was grueling!!!

Super Contributor

• Thanks, Boehm Collector, I forgot about consumer reports.  I can check them for a toaster.  I only want a 2 slice since its only for me.  As for the blender, well, I am telling myself I dont need milkshakes anymore.  I can still see my former milkshakes on my hips!