Honored Contributor

I have 3 slow cookers. One holds about 16 oz, great for dips. One holds about 2 quarts. And one holds 6 quarts. I use the 6 quart all the time. My son bought it for me. So of course it has every bell and whistle.

I have never done anything except turn it on and push the low or high button. Have not touched any of the other buttons or used the temperature probe. But I admit I am a low tech person.

My 6 quart slow cooker is a Hamilton Beach. The 2 little guys are Crock-pots. I rarely used the Crock-pots just because of their size. The Hamilton Beach is about 10 years old and worked like a charm.

Frequent Contributor

I have the Crock-Pot brand.  Got it at Costco.  I have recently started using "liner bags" you can buy in the supermarket that make the clean-up a breeze.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Slow Cookers

[ Edited ]

I currently have a 6-quart slow cooker from Hamilton Beach that has been working beautifully for many years; I used to have a 6-quart slow cooker from Crock Pot, but when I wanted a new one and chose the HB version, I gave the CP version to my sister, and she has continued to use it with no issues. I also have a 3.5-quart slow cooker from Crock Pot that I use for smaller meals. All of these cookers are the traditional style with high and low settings only.

Three years ago, I decided I "needed" the adorable new 7-quart slow cooker featuring Pixar characters for all of our Pixar movie nights; it is made by Select Brands and has also been working nicely, though I use it less often than the HB slow cooker.

I should also add that I bought a multicooker last year, and I feel that it does not do as well with the slow cooking function as it does with the pressure cooking function, so I've continued to use my slow cookers when that's the type of recipe I'm making.

Long story short: I recommend the Crock Pot, Hamilton Beach, and Select Brands slow cookers, and I feel that the traditional style without the programmable options works just fine. I don't think you'll need to spend more than $50 to get a great slow cooker, and I do think it is worthwhile to get the 6-quart version since that's the one most recipes are geared toward.

And FWIW, I'd also recommend shopping today or tomorrow since there will likely be special deals in place leading up to and including Cyber Monday sales. Good luck with your decision!

Super Contributor

I have a 6 qt. CrockPot.  Hi, low, warm - that's it.  No bells and whistles for me, things last longer and are usually cheaper.  Mine is a pretty metallic red one and I bought it in J.C.Penney's.  This is a good time for sales.  I would say 6 qt. is a good size, especially as you state, for freezing meals.  If you entertain and host a buffet, ideal for keeping things warm, i.e. meatballs and sausage in gravy.    
It frees up stove space.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 , this guide will really help you in knowing the ins and outs of slow cooking.  I am retired and home most of the time.  I have non-programmable and programmable slow cookers. I have to admit that I don't use the programmable features very often.  It's just easier to remember to turn the slow cooker down to low in 2 hours and set a timer.  lol  I'm a techie, so it's not that I don't know how to do it--it's just quicker to turn it down manually.   Now if I worked, that would be another story.

The one thing I do like about my programmable slow cookers is that when done cooking, they turn to keep warm automatically.  My other slow cookers have to be manually turned down to keep warm.  I would get one that has high, low, and keep warm.

I highly advise getting a 6 qt.  Most recipes (not all, but most) call for that size.  Get a removable insert whether non-stick or stoneware.  If stoneware, you can spray the sides with cooking spray to help with removal of food or use the slow cooker liners.

http://www.easyaspiecanbe.com/2014/09/slow-cooking-101.html 

Valued Contributor

I have a Ninja 5 in 1 that is large and really is multi use and a small 2 or 3 qt one I got on clearance when they were closing a KMart years ago. I mainly use the small one. 

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 

I recently bought this West Bend Versatility slow cooker and love it!

QVC is sold out now on the 5qt. and 6qt sizes, but they're available at West Bend and other sites.

Very good reviews!

West Bend 87905 5-qt Versatility Slow Cooker - QVC.com

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

Most digital pressure/multicookers these days include a s...

@Jordan2 

Most digital pressure/multicookers these days include a slow cooker function. I like having one appliance instead of two. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just checked Target's Cyber Monday deals and they have a Crock Pot brand 6 qt. and a 7 qt. slow cooker for $19.99 today.

Last week, I bought the 4.5 qt. for only $10.00 at Target's Black Friday sale.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I recently bought a multicooker (Corsori).  I really like it much better than a plain crockpot/slowcooker.)  I brown my meats in it, no splatter all over stove & counter, and then slow cook it all in the same pot.  Cuts way down on pots and pans used and the clean up is much easier and quicker.  When I cook the sides with the meat there is only 1 pan to wash.

Its also easy to use and directions are very clear.  IMO a multicooker would be ideal for 1 person.  I have the 6 qt.  You can cook as much or little as you want.

The Corsori is a few more bucks than you want to spend, but there are other less expensive brands.  I bought mine at Amazon.

@Jordan2 

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)