Respected Contributor

Dont know how else to describe the milk!  But it doesnt taste good at all.   Have you had this happen with milk?

It happened with Skim last year so I changed to 1 percent and it has been ok until lately.  Got rid of it and got some 2 percent and it is fine.

I do wonder what causes the taste to be this way??

Honored Contributor

Sometimes it just goes bad.

Respected Contributor

I was having trouble with my milk going bad quickly, before the date and soon after opening it.  I discovered my fridge temp was too high.  I tested it with a new fridge thermometer and set the temp lower.  That took care of it for me.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

I use fat-free Lactose-free milk.  Seems to have a much longer shelf life than regular milk, plus it works better for me.

Honored Contributor

spoiled, check date.

could be placed close to onions or some other odorous material.

I throw mine out couple of days before it expires.

Honored Contributor

We’ve been using Almond milk for several months now and really like it.

Honored Contributor

I tried those low on fat choices and couldn't do it.

Horrible, maybe if I had a cat I'd gave to it. Probably claw my eyes out !

Wish I could, but, not to be

Honored Contributor

Milk easily picks up odors from other foods in the fridge.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@FlowerBear - I'm not sure whether you might have already done this as part of your milk changes over the past year, but have you tried different brands? There is a chance that the processing or packaging of certain brands of milk result in a product that just isn't to your liking. I've been using the same milk for many years and know what to expect from it, so it would be obvious very quickly if something were wrong with it (which would be helpful in avoiding potential contamination). I also know that some brands of milk taste better to me than others, especially when I need milk with different percentages of fat if I'm drinking it versus baking with it, which is why I stick with my current brand.

Good luck figuring out what works best for you!

Honored Contributor

i only buy whole milk, half and half, and cream.

i tend to purchase the smaller containers (not more than quart sizes) instead of the gallon containers now. although the gallons may be a bit cheaper, i find that if i open a smaller container one at a time i get less spoilage and am able to use the entire carton.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein