Trusted Contributor

Does anyone know if there are any washable grocery shopping totes available??? I have a nice set but stopped using them when I heard that they retain germs from like meats and other items you purchase when you shop even though I would wipe them out with sanitizing wipes after shopping still does not get rid of everything. The article said to find ones that can go thru the washer and throw the others out.

Super Contributor

I have used Chico bags for years...and haven't needed to replace any of them although they have been laundered many times. Also have an old canvas gaiam bag that I love, but doubt there are any out there for purchase.

Honored Contributor

I use paper bags. I double bag them, so they last longer and are stronger. Once they start getting worn, I use them to put my newspapers and recycling in. We can't use string or plastic.

Respected Contributor

Put your meats in plastic bags from the store and then put it in the shopping bag. That layer of extra protection will put your mind at ease and either toss the bag or use it for cat litter, which is what I do unless the meat leaked.

Frequent Contributor

Check out Omnisax or Baggu (you can google the names for sites). Both made out of ripstop nylon and wear like iron. They hold 3 times as much weight as grocery store bags, and I wash mine all the time. Love them! I highly recommend either one.

I like the Omnisax because they roll up and snap into their own little bundle--I have them stashed everywhere (purse, cars, desk at work...) so I always have a bag. And they have such cute patterns.

Contributor

I use Trader Joe's bags and have re-washed them with no trouble.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks so much for your answers to my problem, I appreciate all your suggestions. I am not a germaphobic but when I read the article it made me feel very uncomfortable about using bags that are not washable and the consequences.

Honored Contributor

I have some that I've used for many years. I should probably replace them. I've looked on Amazon a couple of times and there were a lot of choices there.

Trusted Contributor

I do not have a local grocery store that is not worth shopping at..........and although I live alone....I do shop at SAMS, and I have double sided bag that is both thermal, and has microban, that I bought from Q, that many complained was too big.......they no longer carry.......and I have a couple of other bags with micoban that I use as well.........They have also been used to transport pizza for the kids that help clean at the Historical Society, that I am the secretary of, so they work for both hot and cold(pizza place is 30 miles away)........and in the hot South GA months, I do have like ice cream bagged in brown paper bags......as they are insulators in themselves, so I can travel 50 miles with frozen ice cream.........Cool I have put bleach in the bags if meat juices have leaked, even with the micorban, and have never had a problem, and I just switch out the bags from vehicle to vehicle as to what I am driving for the day, as my road dictates what vehicle I must drive........I am a green freak of sorts, and do believe in reusing time and time again........Cool They are also a big help when taking things to work, as they will keep cold cold, when I do not have access to a refrigerator (work in a prison, and have to guard everything), for serving at lunch, and they are WONDERFUL..........{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} Most of the time, no wash......but no leak either, if I do have to rinse out, and just turn up side down to dry...........Kiss

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Respected Contributor

I use bags from Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. I was them frequently. But I still put my my in disposable plastic bags.