Honored Contributor

Re: @Sharke: Making bread ? Used bread machine today.

3D17A39C-C659-4E8F-83FE-C9A885C7D4BE.jpegmedium size loaf baked on medium crust.I think I measured the amount of honey wrong and used less. Combined whole wheat and all purpose flour. Tasted good. Crust was a little hard but not chewy . I am short and bread machine on counter and difficult to see buttons and display screen. I was trying to select the light crust instead to prevent over baking. Appreciate any suggestions. Southern Bee

Honored Contributor

You might try 'light' setting next time. Put machine on the kitchen table and run extension cord if cord won't reach. Like that long shape better then those squared high loaves.

I use 'medium' setting on mine, but, I just make white bread not that whole grain, so, you might want to use 'light'. All in all looks fine to me.

Mine is not perfectly level on the top either, but, doesn't bother me gonna get ate. LOL

Congrats !   Liking that new mixer ? I would had bought white LOL

Honored Contributor

Best thing about bread machines is they just make one loaf.  DH is odd and he might eat one piece. I don't like to freeze bread or anything much for that matter think it's takes on a 'smell'.

When I make it by hand on a Sat. that will make 2, but, I give away the other one on Sunday to somebody in church.  I like to eat bean soup with homemade bread , also.

I buy those bread loaf sleeves from King Arthur, so, makes it look like it's from a bakery. LOL

Honored Contributor

FF438B63-AE56-43AC-99A5-8CB233F06BAF.jpegThe bread machine is convection with 3 loaf sizes and has 16 different bread cycles. I wanted what you use but everything was sold out. When this popped up on the Bed Bath and Beyond site quickly purchased and then sold out. DH desperate for me to purchase something. DH could not stop eating the bread yesterday and only about two slices  were left. 
I love the new mixer and need to make cream cheese pound cakes because I have two boxes of cake flour that needs to be used before the expiration date and this will be a good test for the new mixer. Will make pound cake in medium size loaves and put them in the freezer. I appreciate all your help and suggestions. I was worn out yesterday. Took all morning to read the manual for the bread machine and get everything ready then cooked dinner while the bread was baking. DH was very happy. Southern Bee

Honored Contributor

Bean soup and fresh bread sounds delicious. DH was eating the bread yesterday so fast that I thought none would be left for me but managed to grab two small pieces. I don't like the frozen bread but two friends say they can't tell any difference 😳😳. I will look for the bread sleeves. I have the lock n lock bread keeper but the sleeves would be good if I decide to give any bread as gifts  but first I need to practice more for better results 🍞🍞.Southern Bee

Honored Contributor

I typically make two loaves at a time and freeze the second loaf. I wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and it tastes fine a week or two later. I tend to let it thaw, then slice it, butter it, and toast it under the broiler, and it's very, very good.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman : Thanks for the tip. I have no success with freezing store bought bread. Southern Bee

Honored Contributor

I don't have any trouble with store bought bread because it has so many

preservatives added, but, homemade gets that  'frosty' (LOL) smell.

Could just be , we women, have stronger noses. LOL

DH says "Instead of throwing milk down the drain why don't you freeze it"?

I say MYOB I'm not that tight (not tight at all ) that I'd do that it would be watery and smell awful.   Man, could squeeze a nickel till it bleed. It's a family trait.   If he thinks I'm gonna throw something away he'll hide it or eat it real fast. 

yep, I love being married.  My last one I'll bet the farm on that !

Honored Contributor

@SharkE : 😁😁😁 My DH is the exact opposite because his mother was not a good cook, always extended milk with dry milk then would freeze it. He said she never threw out milk and used it until carton empty. I put milk in back of refrigerator if near expiration date and use to make cornbread, but if he sees it- pours it out. I know about food safety and never use anything spoiled. He had 9 siblings and said many nights he went to bed hungry😢😢. Southern Bee

Honored Contributor

yeah, lots of stories out there in the country and big city LOL

His mother would go outside and mow half the day and chew gum

come in the house, take gum out of mouth, lay on the counter,fix dinner,

put that old wad of gum back in her mouth and go back outside !

I can't make these stories up ! The thought of putting in a fresh piece of gum never occurred to her I guess.

EWWWWWWW  

Course, she lived during the depression . She's the one I spoke of who said they never knew there was a depression because they raised chickens, cows and had a vegetable and strawberry garden. Had raspberry bushes. Canned everything they could from tomatoes,strawberries, peaches.  They had potatoes, green beans, tomatoes, corn. She made the kids clothes, made quilts, etc.

Idle hands were the devils workshop. LOL  She was thrilled to get to go to 'town' once a week, buy material, stuff like that.

Sure different today. You think people from back in the day would eat out 2-3 days a day , every day ? People worked like dogs back then, now, we all lay around and whine. LOL  She didn't have a automatic washer either.

One of those old wringer types and hung out clothes. She didn't have to worry about jogging and keeping weight off. ROFL