Esteemed Contributor

Re: Seth Thomas Kitchen Clock

@x Hedgewrote:

You'll probably have to do both, unless you can get some tension on the tape and wrap it all the way around the battery box.

I do this kind of 'fix' with the clock face down on a pillow. Easier to get the tape started, and then spin the pillow, rather than trying to turn the tape without it getting stuck to itself.

Hope you have enough knuckle clearance back there to fix it!

Oh my goodness.  Never thow a clock like that way.   THere are clack reapr shops around and there are also clock collectos that will buty that stuff.  I have about 68 clocks in my house.   Hoping Florida does away with this Daylight savings time.

Esteemed Contributor

Grew up with at least one clock in every room.

I remember being in the crib, and hearing the Westminster Chimes, the Seth Thomas mantle, and my aunt Pauline's clangy monstrosity clock all going off at the same time.

🎶 Musical cacophony!!

Honored Contributor

You'll never find the quality of a Seth Thomas again, and the older clocks are exceptional, well worth the money to fix.  We had a Seth Thomas mantle clock in rosewood that had the most beautiful face, was initially my great-grandmother's....  was donated years and years ago and regretted ever since.....and even dealing in antiques for years, I have never seen one like it exactly or I would have purchased it.        

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@drizzelllawrote:

Hedge!!!!

What a great idea! I tried to get the plastic together and it would not stay tight enough to keep in contact with the battery. I did not think about just taping the battery in place!

I will give it a try.

@drizzellla. You mmight try putting a piece of wire around the case, then with a pair of pliers, twist it until very tight.

You can buy those battery packs for clocks at craft shops.  Changing it for the old one ought to be fairly simple.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I had never heard of Seth Thomas clocks so I looked them up.  They really are different.  I love this one.

Honored Contributor

Ladies - I can't thank you enough for all your clever suggestions. I figure I will wrap a wire around the plastic casing and then duct tape it. And see what happens.

And then check out craft stores for plastic casing. And see if anything might fit.

But don't you know it. It takes a size C battery. I do no have any size C batteries. I seems I have tons of AA, A and D but no C. So I will go out tomorrow and buy some Cs. 

I also found an authorized Seth Thomas Repair shop. It is on the other side of Pennsylvania. I figure I could talk to him about repairing the clock too. 

I am so glad to hear such good suggestions. Thank you ladies. I really do apreciate it.

Honored Contributor

@CLEMwrote:

I had never heard of Seth Thomas clocks so I looked them up.  They really are different.  I love this one.

@CLEMSeth Thomas is a very old, well respected maker of clocks.  I have a mantle click that was a wedding gift to my great grandparents in the 1800s.  My own parents gave my husband and me a Seth Thomas a few years after we married.  I religiously had it cleaned every few years until finally the dealer in Houston told me it was shot and beyond repair.  I still love the design of the case.  They don't make them like they used to.

Respected Contributor

Oh my!!  I have regretted getting rid of a Seth Thomas clock for many years, so I feel for you.  I only wish I had the clock back.  The name of the clock was my name and it was a wedding gift 49 years ago.  Some things, you just can't replace with the same quality.  

Honored Contributor

I found my clock on the Seth Thomas website.  The dials and the wood on mine are more faded than on this clock.  Its been awhile since its been wound but as far as I know it still works.  No chime just an awful banging of the hours.  I know mother akways had a hard time getting some competent to repair it.

20180318_225033.png

Respected Contributor

@drizzelllawrote:

I just threw out my Seth Thomas kitchen clock. And I am having regrets. It has a beautiful solid wood frame and a classic design. It does weigh a few pounds. I guess because of the construction. It was so well made. But the reason I threw it out was there is a crack in the plastic that holds the battery. So the clock could not tell time without the battery working properly.

I probably will never be able to buy another clock as well made. That is why I am having regrets. I bought a clock at Lenox, it is a plastic lightweight clock that don't look nearly as nice. And now that it is hanging up it looks like a plastic lightweight clock.

I hate throwing out something that is well made and looks good for inferior products. But I guess I should get used to it.

Becca lou wrote: Are you sure it's not that you just hate change. Because I certainly do. Just enjoy your new clock, the old ones is gone. You sound so much like me.Heart. I drive my self crazy over things like that. Just Enjoy Life and stay calm.