Honored Contributor

I just threw out my Seth Thomas kitchen clock. And I am having regrets. It has a beautiful solid wood frame and a classic design. It does weigh a few pounds. I guess because of the construction. It was so well made. But the reason I threw it out was there is a crack in the plastic that holds the battery. So the clock could not tell time without the battery working properly.

I probably will never be able to buy another clock as well made. That is why I am having regrets. I bought a clock at Lenox, it is a plastic lightweight clock that don't look nearly as nice. And now that it is hanging up it looks like a plastic lightweight clock.

I hate throwing out something that is well made and looks good for inferior products. But I guess I should get used to it.

Honored Contributor

Re: Seth Thomas Kitchen Clock

I had a ST school house clock we bought at Ethan Allen back in the 70's. Even after it didn't keep time we kept it hanging on the wall just because it was so nice looking.

Esteemed Contributor

As it happened, when I was changing clocks to DST, I revisited the beauty of a Seth Thomas clock I purchased a few years ago at a consignment shop.  It still has a handwritten tag on the back stating where and when it was sold (1974, near where I live now).

It keeps time beautifully still, and it is really lovely.

Can you retrieve it from the trash and have the battery housing repaired?

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

Last year my nice heavy wooden kitchen clock just stopped working. I threw it out thinking it would be easy to replace. I was really surprised to find that the clocks were so cheap looking.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@blackhole99wrote:

I had a ST school house clock we bought at Ethan Allen back in the 70's. Even after it didn't keep time we kept it hanging on the wall just because it was so nice looking.

I kept my clock hanging up even after it stopped working. And it bothered my brother, he  made endless comments every time he stayed at my house. And that is why I put the new clock up. 

Guess in a few days, I will not even notice the new clock.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@drizzellla,  Retrieve it!!!!!!!

That piece is easily replaced by any clock repair shop. Sometimes jewelers do this work. Shop around, because the part is cheap. You are really paying for their 'know how'.

I grew up with a Seth Thomas mantle clock and it sits on the mantle above my fireplace to this day. 

Edit:  You can't fix that crack with a little duct tape?

Me, I would've taped the plastic, then taped in battery into place too!

Honored Contributor

Sweetbay Magnolia - trash day isn't until Wednesday. But I have no idea where to take it to be repaired. Guess that can be my job the next two days. See if I can get the clock repaired.

Honored Contributor

Hedge!!!!

What a great idea! I tried to get the plastic together and it would not stay tight enough to keep in contact with the battery. I did not think about just taping the battery in place!

I will give it a try.

Respected Contributor

Yep! Go get it! It is an easy fix that you might be able to do yourself. It is a cheap repair as well. If the clock is one you like, go for it.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

You'll probably have to do both, unless you can get some tension on the tape and wrap it all the way around the battery box.

I do this kind of 'fix' with the clock face down on a pillow. Easier to get the tape started, and then apply gentle tension on the tape while rotating the pillow, rather than trying to turn the tape around the box without it getting stuck to itself.

Hope you have enough knuckle clearance back there to fix it!