Respected Contributor

Self-Rising Flour -- HELP!!!

I bought a 5 lb. bag of self-rising flour and don't know what to do. It has baking powder in it, so if a recipe calls for baking powder, do I omit it and add it? I'm guessing omit the BP, but I'm not 100% sure.

Please help!!!

Regular Contributor

Re: Self-Rising Flour -- HELP!!!

I checked King Arthur flour's website and they said that you can use it as a substitute for all purpose flour, but if your recipe calls for salt and baking powder, omit it from the recipe.  However, I do not understand the ratio of cups of flour to tsps of salt and baking powder. I was very hesitant to try to make a loaf of bread with it in my Zo+  I received two bags of the self-rising flour from a friend, but ending up throwing them both out because the bags were opened up.   Look at the bag and see what recipes you can use this for.

Honored Contributor

whatever recipe your using that calls for it, use it accordingly

don't use it instead of All purpose if that's what your doing.

Valued Contributor

@coffee drinker 

Maybe you could google recipes using self-rising flour. I would think there would be some ideas for you

cookin

Esteemed Contributor

How to Make Self-Rising Flour Out of All-Purpose Flour
  1. For every cup of self -rising flour called for in your recipe, measure out 1 level cup all-purpose flour.
  2. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
  3. Whisk to combine.

This is the amount called for in most recipes.  You can always add extra if your recipe call for more

Valued Contributor

You can use it for any recipe that includes baking powder, and just don't add any baking powder. 

You can also make biscuits with it....lots of biscuits!

Honored Contributor

So if you do add baking powder to self-rising flour, maybe you get something extra light and fluffy, like those biscuits?  (Non-baker here)

Respected Contributor

Wow!!!  When I saw replies to this post, I  just didn't remember it.  What a shock seeing it was originally posted in 2013. After all those years, I finally figured out what to do with self-rising flour and have used that 5 lb. bag.  Thanks everyone for the replies. 

Esteemed Contributor

@depglass wrote:

So if you do add baking powder to self-rising flour, maybe you get something extra light and fluffy, like those biscuits?  (Non-baker here)

Adding too much baking powder will cause your item to rise too quickly and it will often sink in the middle. 

If you want to try for light & fluffy biscuits, try a lighter flour like Lilly White. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@coffee drinker wrote:

I bought a 5 lb. bag of self-rising flour and don't know what to do. It has baking powder in it, so if a recipe calls for baking powder, do I omit it and add it? I'm guessing omit the BP, but I'm not 100% sure.

Please help!!!

Of course you leave out any leavening.. Self rising flour is just that - it's self rising...   No need to add baking powder or salt usually.   I've always used self rising flour for anythng I've baked - cakes, biscuits.  They turn out fine.  My mother always used self rising flour for her baked goods - she made the best biscuits in the world..