Valued Contributor

Sectional Vegetable/Relish Dish

@ECBG  I contacted several members of my family and asked if anyone remembered this dish from my childhood. The last, my aunt, did. My grandmother gave it to her, and in turn, my aunt gave it to her daughter. I asked for a picture. The only difference from my memory is that I though it was tri-color and it is not. I think it is in great shape being as old as I am. I am 69 and I don't know when or where my grandmother got it. 

vegdish.jpg

I did a search with Google Lens and see this dish is still for sale as used items. My grandmother had it on a spinning turntable. I don't know if the current ones come that way. I don't think my cousin uses it, but I love it! 

Honored Contributor

Re: Sectional Vegetable/Relish Dish

I never encountered a relish dish until I was in my 20's and moved.  We never served one and I never knew someone who did when I was growing up.

Pickles, olives, raw vegetables etc. were items you might get with a sandwich, but not on the table with a meal. And I still don't understand it's purpose with a meal.  

Respected Contributor

@Sooner @Xivambala   My mother always had a relish dish on the table.  My father worked in the family business and always came home for breakfast, lunch, dinner.  The big meal was lunch....which they referred to as dinner, and dinner was called supper.  Supper was usually leftovers from dinner. 

Her relish dishes were usually clear glass, and the ones for holiday dinners were antique cut glass. 

Super Contributor

Send a photo of it to replacements.com and they can identify it for you if it ws produced by a company rather than an individual artist.   Good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

@Xivambala  That's a really neat kind of retro-looking dish! We always had, and still do have, a relish dish or two on our holiday and more formal tables. They have always been just the glass divided dishes. Two kinds of pickles and one or two kinds of olives. It's funny, but lately they seem to not get passed. I have to remind people to pass them.

Valued Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I never encountered a relish dish until I was in my 20's and moved.  We never served one and I never knew someone who did when I was growing up.

Pickles, olives, raw vegetables etc. were items you might get with a sandwich, but not on the table with a meal. And I still don't understand it's purpose with a meal.  

@Sooner  I grew up in a large home with extended family. We had a formal dining room with a large dining room table. This dish was put out on the table for large family meals. Things such as carrots, olives, celery sticks, small pickles, cucumber slices, etc. were in the individual sections. Because our family did this does not mean that everyone did. Some kind of relish 'tray' is common though in some homes/parties.

Honored Contributor

@Xivambala   That is a pretty dish.  I love to collect platters, bowls and unusual dishes.

My mother had several relish dishes and some divided platters.  We used them for Sunday and holiday dinners.  Some served veggies, some fruit and some had Italian meats and cheeses.  

The kids and guests picked off of these appetizer foods while mom was still cooking.  It kept us from bothering her.  

I still waited to stick a fork in a meatball and run before she swiped me with a dish towel.

I have several that I still use and my younger sister has many more.  She collects pink depression glass and always shows up to our large family dinners with several filled with " picky" foods.

Thanks for posting.  I enjoyed seeing your grandmother's relish dish.

Esteemed Contributor

@Xivambala  Here's a weird thing. DH and I both vaguely remember sitting at Sunday tables and seeing celery served in ice water in a relish dish. Never thought about it until now. It wasn't at our homes, but we remember it at homes we visited.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Sooner   We always had relish dishes on the table for big dinners but they were clear cut glass, flat, and divided into 3 or 4 sections.  I have several of them.

They were just part of the meal, sometimes a salad replacement.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@Xivambala  Here's a weird thing. DH and I both vaguely remember sitting at Sunday tables and seeing celery served in ice water in a relish dish. Never thought about it until now. It wasn't at our homes, but we remember it at homes we visited.

@PA Mom-mom 

I remember pieces of celery stuffed with pimento cheese.