Trusted Contributor

So sorry for your loss housecat. 

Do the math.
Trusted Contributor

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family 

Honored Contributor

@house_cat - I am so sorry for your loss. You can add my prayers to the many others you're getting. 

Esteemed Contributor

Sending my sympathies, @house cat. My parents passed away six months apart, so I know a bit of what you must be feeling.  Rest assured that you were a wonderful, caring daughter, a fact I know from reading your many posts.  You and your family will be in my prayers. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

Sending my sympathies, @house cat. My parents passed away six months apart, so I know a bit of what you must be feeling.  Rest assured that you were a wonderful, caring daughter, a fact I know from reading your many posts.  You and your family will be in my prayers. 

I was thinking about house_cat's dedication too @shoesnbags. It was thoughtful of you to post that. As a long term caregiver after my wonderful mom's health failed, I have huge admiration for those who "step up and step in".

It was probably one of the hardest/most important jobs I ever did, and my admiration for others in the situation is boundless.

Valued Contributor

I am so sorry for the loss of your mother, House Cat... I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.... Smiley Sad

Spoiler

Honored Contributor

Good morning.

I'm always surprised at the thoughtfulness of my friends on this forum.

Our labors of love began 3 1/2 years ago when I brought my mom and dad here to live near me, so that DH and I could care for them.  It was a lot of work, and I didn't always handle it gracefully, but I can say that I did my best.

In January, my dad fell ill and passed away a week later.  I moved in with my mom to care for her, at which time she fell and broke her femur, requiring surgery, followed by three weeks in a convalescent hospital.  We agreed, then, that I couldn't go on living with her and she couldn't live alone, so we set her up in a lovely assisted living residence.  She was there only two weeks when she was rushed to the ER. That was one week ago and she passed away this last Saturday.

It has been a wild ride and our heads are still spinning, but we are comforted by the belief that she and Dad are together again.  Now it's time to pick up the pieces - my own home is a crazy mess from three months of neglect, the apartment we set up for her and Dad is in a state of disarray, and we need to empty it and be out by June 1st.  In addition,we now have the assisted living apartment to empty out. Sooooo, it's been kinda nuts around here and DH and I are still crazy busy, but it comforts us to know that we did all that we could. DH and I will be heading for NY the end of this week, as it was her wish and my dad's to be buried there near his family.

Thank you for the concern and prayers I've received from all of you these last years and months.  We didn't do anything exceptional - millions of people are currently dealing with the same issues of aging.  Still, the prayers were helpful and appreciated. 

I look forward to spending more time in the kitchen the next few months, and more time on the boards with my forum friends :-)

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@house_cat - Many of us have been in a similar position at some point in our lives.  Please make sure to take care of yourself during the coming weeks.  Continued prayers and the best of luck in sorting though all that you have to.  Heart

Honored Contributor

@house_cat

Hugs to housecat and her family during this difficult time. 

Respected Contributor

HouseCat, I am so sorry to hear about the passing of your dear mother.  It should give you comfort in knowing that you did everything that you could for the care of your parents while they were still with you.  Take care of yourself in the next days and weeks.  Sending hugs and prayers to you.