Valued Contributor

What is the best way to store iceberg lettuce?  I always have several types of lettuce to make salad so my iceberg needs to last for a week or so.  I'm using a Debbie Meyer green bag right now and the lettuce seems to be lasting slightly longer than just using tightly closed double produce bags from the store.  I have lock & locks - sometimes the iceberg stays fresh and other times it turns orange quickly.  I'm not going to invest in the "green boxes".  What do you suggest?

Respected Contributor

The green bags work best for me.  Dry the lettuce whole as best you can, sometimes I put a papertowel loosely around the head inside the green bag to help absorb the moisture.  If I plan to use it up within 3 or 4 days I'll tear it into pieces and dry thoroughly after a wash and salad spinner, even then I blot it with paper towels.

Esteemed Contributor

I love crisp iceberg lettuce too. After I core and rinse a head, I wrap a large piece of dampened paper towel around it before putting it into a storage bag or green bag. I can keep a head of lettuce crisp and fresh in the refrigerator for at least a week .

Respected Contributor

Nothing like a good wedge salad...or chopped salad. I like the two polar opposites. A friend of mine and her husband used to run a grocery store. They said to keep lettuce fresh, it has to be kept dry...so they recommended poking air in the plastic bags, wrapping the head in paper towel, or drying the head and removing all the air from whatever you store it in. I have some of those green bags too. It's kind of like trying to keep an avocado green after slicing...nothing works that great, but the tips are better than nothing.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Valued Contributor

While it has no nutritional value, I love it.  While living in Germany, I had a good sized garden.  I planted my American seeds for iceberg lettuce.  I had a bumper crop, over 40 heads grew and were beautiful.  Germans were enamoured and I was able to trade for their crops while they adored all those heads of Iceberg Lettuce.  What fun.

Honored Contributor

Whatever happened to those roundish plastic lettuce keepers for iceberg?  I think I still have one around here.  They kept lettuce great.  I guess we better rekindle our love affair with iceberg since farmers can't seem to grow unpolluted romaine.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

@Kachina624That lettuce keeper is Tupperware.  Take the core out and store..

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is off topic and argumentative