Trusted Contributor

I always wanted to know the reason a springform pan is used in certain recipes.  I used to own one, but I threw it out because it leaked terrible Smiley Sad

Can you use another type of pan in its place?

Esteemed Contributor

Never had one in my very  longggggg life!

Of course you can use a regular pan!!!

Honored Contributor

The easy removal of the sides from a springform pan lends itself to dishes with delicate bottom layers such as the graham cracker crumb crusts commonly constructed for cheesecakes. Springform pans, however, are also used in the preparation of pizzas, quiches, and frozen desserts.

Honored Contributor

IME it's indispensable for certain recipes. I've never had a leakage issue with mine and I have a few. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

@Qshopper1991 wrote:

I always wanted to know the reason a springform pan is used in certain recipes.  I used to own one, but I threw it out because it leaked terrible Smiley Sad

Can you use another type of pan in its place?

_____

Hi!  You need a springform pan to make cheesecakes so that you don't tear it up when you take it out of the pan.  You just undo the spring clasp and it should release from the sides.  It is also used for other tarts, pastries, and some savory recipes.  Mine does not leak luckily.  I don't think there is a replacement pan.

I bought a really good non-stick one by Paula Deen for a great price from Zulily a couple of years ago.  

Respected Contributor

I use my springform pan when I make cheesecakes with a cookie crumb crust.  Cakes where you really can't turn them upside down to get them out of the pan.  It can take me a couple of tries to set the plate piece in the bottom of the ring so the seal is as close as it can be when i close the clip.  I hold the pan up to the light and look for any light shining through at the edge. If I see light around that rim, I unclip and try again.  Putting a goodly layer of crumb crust in the bottom and up the side a little way can help staunch leaks.   A foil wrap under and around the bottom of the pan can help too.  Sometimes the thing is just warped and no amount of repositioning is gonna do the trick.  I don't use them everyday but i'm glad I have those pans when i need them.

Trusted Contributor

Fabulous invention!

Super Contributor

I use mine for making cheese cake. To me, also, this is a great invention. Leave the bottom part under the cake and place it on a serving dish. You cannot remove a cheese cake from a pan any other way, other than to serve it in the pan.

Honored Contributor

I bought a set of 3 sizes of springform pans years ago! Best investment I've made! I use them constantly when making desserts. Best thing invented! Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"