Super Contributor

Re: SEARCHING FOR NEW COOKWARE

patty cake writes "I have hopes of never having to purchase another set, so I don't mind spending the money for durability!" Based on what I've read at the America's Test Kitchen/Cook's Illustrated website and elsewhere, that simply is not going to happen. And thus it does not pay to purchase expensive non-stick cookware.

When looking for cookware or other kitchen tools, my go-to source is always Cook’s Illustrated (CI) (America’s Test Kitchen). Recently they evaluated non-stick skillets and wrote, “We set a $60 price limit because nonstick pans wear faster than other pans, so we don’t think they’re worth a major investment.” This is a message CI has been giving for a number of years now. NO non-stick cookware is going to last forever, so don’t sink a lot of money into any non-stick cookware you purchase. In time, ALL non-stick cookware is going to fail. With that in mind, several years ago, I purchased some T-Fal nonstick cookware which CI recommended. It was very reasonably priced and it’s worked well for me. I know it won’t last forever, but since I didn’t pay a fortune for it, I accept that. If you’re careful and don’t abuse your cookware – don’t use metal spatulas, cut food in the skillets, use abrasive sponges, stack skillets, repeatedly shock it in cold water, wash it in a dishwasher, or otherwise handle your cookware roughly, of course it will last longer than if you do abuse it.

CI further notes, “As for the nonstick coatings, most cookware manufacturers purchase them from large chemical companies. They choose from a range of options, from cheap to premium. The composition of the coating, how well it’s applied, and how many layers are applied all affect performance and durability.”

I’d look for cookware whose weight/heft feels right in your hands and is reasonably priced. If you have to buy it in a set, make sure the set doesn’t include a bunch of pots/pans/or skillets you’ll never use. While I have and love some pieces of All-Clad stainless steel cookware, I wouldn’t consider purchasing All-Clad non-stick cookware as it’s very expensive and I know in not such a terribly long time it, as is the case for ALL nonstick cookware, it will need to be replaced.

In doing some checking for this post I learned about CI’s Test Kitchen discovery: you can season nonstick. “Much like cast-iron and carbon-steel pans, a nonstick skillet’s nonstick ability can be improved with seasoning. Simply warm the empty pan over low heat for 30 seconds, remove it from the heat, and rub it with a tablespoon of vegetable oil. Wipe the skillet dry with a paper towel, and it’s ready to go. We suggest seasoning your nonstick skillet this way when it’s new and whenever you notice it becoming sticky.”

Trusted Contributor

I've  tried many of the top brands from outlets, dept stores and high end kitchen stores.  My favortie for NONSTICK,- EVEN COOKING, -  EASE OF CLEANING

(including the rivets - they're covered so you don't have to scrub and scrub, or dig out food particles from the rim)..... AND LITERALLT TAKES 15 SECONDS TO CLEAN A PAN Cat Very Happy

they don't slide around on my cooktop, oven safe high temps,  AND they're not sky high in price, they last and last AND handle wear and tear from kids scraping them, dropping, burning, UTENSIL SAFE- I need that because we usually just grab any material utensil and often stainless steel.

BBB always has a 20% coupon floating around, and Macys has couppns, plus they matched BBB with coupon-, and if you get the right salesperson from any store they might search the lowest price ever from their store and offer that plus use a coupon.  

I love Anolon Nouvelle Copper Hard Anodized.

Cat Very Happy

FURBABIES ARE THE BREATH OF LIFE
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Free2be wrote:

If price is not an issue, Williams Sonoma is touting a new cookware line:

"Zwilling Forte takes cookware to new heights of performance with a breakthrough in nonstick technology. The five-layer nonstick coating is exceptionally resistant to scratches and will last for years. Allowing minimal-oil cooking, each component in this set releases food easily and is compatible with metal utensils."

And everything is 20% off with free shipping. 

Contributor

You will get the same thing from Curtis Stone cookware at a far cheaper price. Have had mine for 2 years and it is in same great condition and does exactly what he says. Being elderly and have fallen for everyone's cookware, I have found Curtis Stone is top shelf and only one EVER to buy. 

Honored Contributor

@cajun3mama wrote:

Curtis stone all the way. Got tired of wasting money on cookware only to toss it out. Bought the small set to try. Fantastic. Ordered a larger set and threw out everything else. Nothing sticks and the cleanup is a rinse and a wipe and use again. 

I just wish they would get his baking sheets back in stock. I'm going to replace my bakeware now. 

He is supposed to be back in November. Can't wait. 

I also recommend Curtis Stone Cookware and bakeware.  By the way, I just noticed his bakeware is back in stock and also with several new items including muffin tins.  Also, his bakeware is now offered in three colors in most items:  grey, gold or red.  I just ordered a set of cookie sheets for a gift as I love mine.  Free shipping too.

Honored Contributor

@Daysdee- Thank you about items back in stock . Just ordered the cookie sheets for a Christmas gift. I love the Curtis Stone Cookie Sheets! SouthernBee 

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it contains a link to an outside company