Super Contributor

I have (and have gifted) a really large Lock & Lock insulated cooler bag (K43917) which I keep in the back seat of our truck.   I  fold up several other reusable grocery bags and keep them inside this cooler bag.  Everything stays "together" and I can easily transfer all of them to the grocery cart/my car or store in the trunk.  I also have one of those 3 dived trunk/seat organizers.  I like it a lot.  I have a friend who had a bottle of Lime Away tip over in her car and "eat" a big hole in the carpet.  That organizer really helps to keep bottles standing up and not rolling all over the trunk/floor! 

Honored Contributor

I hope I never have to give up the plastic bags I get at the grocery store! I have no idea what I'd do with the cat litter when I scoop daily!! Woman Surprised

"Pure Michigan"
Trusted Contributor

LIke those of you with cats, I use the plastic bags for litter. I also keep any bread/bun bags or any other kinds of bags for litter. We have six litter boxes that we scoop twice a day.

I use Trader Joe's resusable bags for most of our grocery shopping until I run low on plastic bags. Then I start bringing home plastic bags again. We keep the TJ's bags in the back of our car, so they're always available.

Honored Contributor

Re: Reusable Grocery Bags

[ Edited ]

I use LOQI reusable bags.  They're very strong and hold a lot.  They fold up and are stored in a zippered pouch.  I have used these for years and ordered them from Amazon.  They come as a set of 4.  They are easily stored in the side pocket of my car beside the driver's seat.  They also don't take up a lot of room and could possibly be kept in your handbag.

Amazon also sells Envirosax, which come in a set of 5 and are the same type of bag.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

I too am in CA and have to use reusable bags.  I just read how they are full of bacteria after a few uses.  I think I have to wash mine, what a waste of water.

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

I hope I never have to give up the plastic bags I get at the grocery store! I have no idea what I'd do with the cat litter when I scoop daily!! Woman Surprised

we would have to buy bags

I save the bags from the newspaper,  it's about all its good for

Honored Contributor

I use the disposable grocery bags for trash bags, like another poster mentioned.   I live alone, not a lot of trash.

And for cleaning out the litter boxes!

I also have a couple of reusable bags that I used sometimes depending on what store I'm at and what I'm purchasing.    If I only need a few things, I'll bring in the reusable, drop my items in as I shop then unload it at the check-out.

Ever so often I find myself with more disposables than I need, they go back to the store into their recycle bin.

Esteemed Contributor

How about a giant tote bag or beach bag?  I have a trunk organizer that works great for me.

Honored Contributor

All of mine fold flat, so I just have them in a nice, flat stack on the passenger seat.

The reason I keep them up front is because not only am I usually the only one in my vehicle, but when I had them in the back I would forget to bring some into the store, then get mad at myself for messing up.  This way, they are right next to me in a neat pile so I can just grab however many I need du jour.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I've read that reuseable bags are breeding grounds for bacteria.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/01/06/reusable-grocery-bag-germs/4341739/

Good thing they are washable!