Respected Contributor

I've been trying to be more ecologically responsible & using reusable fabric/canvas grocery bags rather than bringing home the store's plastic bags.  Does anyone have any hints on how to keep them neatly in the car, so they aren't strewn all over the place?  Do you roll them up & tie them together with something?   I have an SUV, so I've been keeping them in the back seat, but it looks kind of untidy to me.

Respected Contributor

Re: Reusable Grocery Bags

[ Edited ]

DH does our grocery shopping and he just brings things home in the plastic bags from Publix. He stores them in the garage and periodically takes them back for recycling. I have no problem with that.

Trusted Contributor

I just fold mine up and put them all in one bag on the floor of my back seat. 

Esteemed Contributor

@aubnwa01 I do the same thing.  I fold them up and put them in one bag and they are in my trunk. But I do accept the store's plastic bags.  I put them in a  trash cans all over the house in the bottom and put one bag over the top to collect trash.  In any case I use everything

Respected Contributor

Re: Reusable Grocery Bags

[ Edited ]

@StylishLady wrote:

DH does our grocery shopping and he just brings things home in the plastic bags from Publix. He stores them in the garage and periodically takes them back for recycling. I have no problem with that.

I was using the plastic bags for cleaning out my kitty's litter box, but she went to the rainbow bridge in early Nov., so I'm not using them right now.   The reason I decided to start using the reusable bags (which I already had) was I went thru where I stuffed all of the plastic bags in my garage & had 9 bags stuffed with other bags when I was done!  I still have 3 bags to take to be recycled when I go to the store. 

Trusted Contributor

I purchased a folding trunk organizer which also has a thermal zip bag for cold items.  I keep my store recycle bags in there.  Fully open it has 3 sections.  I put gallons of milk and water in a compartment so they do not tip over and spill.   Any plastic bags I get from other stores I use for cat litter and to line small waste baskets in the bathroom and bedrooms.  Many of our stores have a box in the front entrance to place used clean plastic bags to be recycled.  I have gifted my family members the trunk organizers and they love them.

Respected Contributor

@aubnwa01

I am so sorry about the loss of your cat. We have cats, so I love the plastic grocery bags for scooping their litter. If it weren't for that, I would do what you are doing and use the canvas ones full time. We have several canvas totes which we use when we can see that we have plenty of plastic bags in their under- sink bin. We keep the canvas ones folded behind the driver's seat of the car we use most often. 

Honored Contributor

I've read that reuseable bags are breeding grounds for bacteria.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/01/06/reusable-grocery-bag-germs/4341739/

Respected Contributor

Thanks, LibbyAnnE, for your kind thoughts.  She was a black & white Maine Coon & only 7½ years old & it seemed like overnight she developed a large mass on her liver.  She'd been OK at her most recent vet checkup in July, so it seemed like it came out of nowhere. 

The 1st month was the worst, it was like a physical pang in my chest when I thought of her, but it's easing, though I still miss her terribly.  I thought I'd have her with me for many years, but alas, sadly that wasn't to be.

Trusted Contributor

@StylishLady wrote:

Ah yes, plastic bags were my favorite souvenier from Florida because we can't get them from the stores in CA anymore.

I am sorry about the loss of your kitty @aubnwa01. We reused our plastic bags in multiple ways and one was to hold scooped litter from our cats.

As you're currently doing, I keep about 4 reusable bags in my car, folded up neatly and placed in the pocket of the seat backs.