Trusted Contributor

I remember the old tin breadboxes. I have one in the bottom drawer. I think they put more preservatives in the bread now so it doesn't get moldy as fast.

Jessa
Honored Contributor

I don't have a bread box. I don't like anything on the counters. I keep bread in the pantry.

Esteemed Contributor

My bread box is a snack box -- both healthy and otherwise snacks. It's the first place some of my guests look - including grandson.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

We have a stainless steel bread box. I got it from the Container Store.

We've always used one. I've never refrigerated bread, although I often freeze breads. That way, we never run out.

Frequent Contributor

I have a small kitchen so I can't afford the counter space for a bread box. I buy a few loaves and freeze em. And theres always a loaf in the fridge.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the chemistry lesson, betteb. I'm showing this to DH, who insists bread be refrigerated because we are so far from the store. I have to toast mine because it seems so dry from the frig.

Honored Contributor
On 12/2/2014 oceantown said:

Cream Bread Box

This is one of the styles on the King Arthur Flour website.

They also have this one in a beautiful turquoise color and it has the wooden lid that doubles as a cutting board:

The boxes at King Arthur are very nice, but not inexpensive. I don't have a bread box - my mother did - mainly for lack of counter space. But I do need something for bread, rolls, English muffins, etc.

Honored Contributor

We generally store a loaf of bread in the freezer and take out 6 pieces every morning - 2 for DH's toast and 4 for lunch sandwiches. I prefer bagels in the mornings. I store my bagels and the 6 slices in a ziplock bag my TT bread box.

Honored Contributor
They take up a lot of room on the counter and don't do anything except hide the bread from the dog. I'd like to get rid of mine.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Seems like it was just an item to keep the bread out of sight and make the kitchen look more neat!