Regular Contributor

I make this and it is delicious.  My question is: could I change it by substituting the soda with another liquid (milk, etc?) and leaving out the llemon extract?  In other words, changing the flavor.  I often put 2T brandy in a pound cake (as well as vanilla) and it is a great flavoring.

Honored Contributor

Re: Ree's 7-Up Pound Cake

[ Edited ]

I have made this recipe for an overnight rum pound cake.  It uses milk as the liquid:

Cake:

2 cups flour

1 1/2 cups sugar

3.4-oz box instant vanilla pudding mix

2 tsp baking powder

3/4 tsp salt

1/2 cup butter

1/2 cup vegetable oil

1/2 cup milk

4 eggs

1/2 cup rum

2 tsp vanilla

Syrup:

1/4 cup butter

2 tbsp water

1/2 cup sugar

1/8 tsp salt

1//4 cup rum

1/4 tsp vanilla

Mix flour, sugar, pudding mix, baking powder, salt, butter, and oil on medium speed with electric mixer until sandy-looking.  Beat in milk.  Beat in eggs one at a time.  

Stir in rum and vanilla.

Pour batter into oil-sprayed Bundt pan.  Bake at 325 degrees for 50-60 minutes until wood skewer comes out clean.  Cool in pan.

Bring butter, water, sugar, salt, and rum to a rapid boil, then reduce to simmer until slightly thickened, about 7 minutes.  Stir in vanilla off heat.

Poke holes all over cake with wooden skewer.  Pour syrup over cake 1/4 cup at a time, letting it soak in between pourings.

Loosely cover pan with plastic wrap and let sit overnight.  To serve, loosen edges of cake (I use a silicone spatula) and turn onto serving plate. 

Honored Contributor

I have a friend that puts 7 up in any type of cake she makes. I had never heard of doing so until I met her.

Honored Contributor

I make 7 Up biscuits.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I make 7 Up biscuits.

@CelticCrafter  Yum!

Honored Contributor

IMO, it would probably bake and taste ok with any liquid you wanted, however, if it was me, I would substitute unflavored carbonated water for the 7UP.  

7UP is just flavored carbonated water. 

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

IMO, it would probably bake and taste ok with any liquid you wanted, however, if it was me, I would substitute unflavored carbonated water for the 7UP.  

7UP is just flavored carbonated water. 

With a lot of added sweetness!  Carbonated water is just bubbly water.

Super Contributor

@deepwaterdotter 

This looks like a recipe that I absolutely, positively must make.  Having company next week and will be the perfect time to test it out.  Thanks!!