Super Contributor

Re: Red Velvet Cake ~ What am I missing?

It 's just ok. There are better things to eat, Imo.
Honored Contributor

It does not appeal to me, either. Frankly, I do not think it is even tasty and its look puts me off. One of my sons is mad for it, though, and so we have it time to time.

I remember when it came on the scene in the 1960s when the most accomplished housewives were showing it off. (At least that is how I remember it; maybe it was around before then, but I remember the mothers of some of my friends baking red velvet cakes and showing them off.)

Valued Contributor

A nice moist carrot cake seems to me a better vehicle for cream cheese frosting. I don't ""get"" red velvet cake either.

Super Contributor

I've never heard of it, or perhaps never noticed it, until I visited some friends who moved to Nevada a few year ago. I took one bite to see what the hoopla was about and then quickly found a napkin to dispose of that one bite. The cake was polished off in less than 10 minutes. Yeah, I don't get it either.

Super Contributor

Red velvet cake is one of those things that you either like, or you don't. Though it LOOKS pretty, to me the taste is 'eh'. Just sweet, & not much else.

I once told my GF that if you blindfolded someone & gave them a bite, I'd wager that very few would be able to identify what they were eating, other than tasting a sweet something.

Different strokes!

Honored Contributor

I like both the look and the taste of a good red velvet cake. I probably eat one slice of it about every other year and have never given a thought to its potential harm to my healthy longevity. For me, this would be a pick your battle kind of thing and I'm not worried about this infinitesimal amount of red dye. Besides, the calories and fat in that slice of cake are every bit as damaging as the dye - and every cake we eat has those things - unless you're eating only plain angel food!

Respected Contributor

I love red velvet cake. My grandmother had the best recipe (which I don't have). The cake she made melted in the mouth. It was like no other. Her homemade icing was the perfect companion.

I've never tasted such a great cake. So sad, I never got her recipe.

Honored Contributor

I make RedVelvet Cake with organic ingredients. The red dye is usually 2 ounces. I tried beet juice once and it was okay, but was an odd red. I had great luck with pure vegetable dyes by India Tree. Anyone who dyes food for kids, I couldn't recommend these more highly. I would never want to give my kids highly dyed foods. They get it enough everyday in things we would never think about. Red dye can be replaced, but you need to think 2ounces liquid. I use this, http://www.indiatree.com/Detail_Page.php?Category=NC&Subcategory=NC_Decorating_Colors&SKU=90956

Honored Contributor

I have ordered it on Amazon, and bought it at Whole Foods one time. There is also another Community Market, New Leaf that carries it.

Honored Contributor

On 3/2/2014 Sunshine Kate said:

I love red velvet cake. My grandmother had the best recipe (which I don't have). The cake she made melted in the mouth. It was like no other. Her homemade icing was the perfect companion.

I've never tasted such a great cake. So sad, I never got her recipe.

I bet her secret ingredient was love and devotion.