Respected Contributor

Re: Red Velvet Cake ~ What am I missing?

On 3/2/2014 chrystaltree said:

You need to find a recipe for genuine red velvet cake, not they phony fake they pass off as red velvet. Sadly, some people don't know there is a difference.

Yes I agree. My DH's family are big Red Cake lovers. I have his mother's recipe and have made it a couple of times. It really isn't a chocolate cake and is very moist. I can take or leave it, I'm more a pie person.

Valued Contributor

I never thought I would meet a cake I didn't like -- and then I met red velvet!

Respected Contributor

On 3/2/2014 muttmom said:

So if I dump a bottle of blue food coloring into the recipe I can have a blue velvet cake? How about green velvet for St. Patrick's Day?

It's not the same ..certain colors just don't translate well into food.The eyes can fool the tastebuds,I think.plus the color might be all Don my since the base is chocolate. Lol

Respected Contributor

I too do not see the point of all the food coloring. If I eat a bite of it with eyes closed it just tastes like cake, it's the cream cheese frosting that's delicious. I use that on regular homemade (not a mix) chocolate cake. I avoid all colored additives to food so this cake is an easy miss for me. Now beet juice is worth a try!! Sounds delicious.

Respected Contributor

From what I've ever found original red velvet was a chemical reaction of the cocoa from baking powder and vinegar. And I believe they were not as red as now, things I've looked for say mahogany. Beet coloring came next and then food coloring.

Presentation is the only reason I've ever made one, and that wedding cake got more ooos and ahhhs than any other I've ever done. It looked as pretty cut as it did whole.

I think they taste good, but the amount of food coloring in a recipe is overwhelming. I'd love an original recipe. I'd even try a beet water one.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

OMG I thought I was alone! I don't get it either. Sure, the frosting is good (it's cream cheese, afterall) but I'll take a regular ole chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting and it will be just as good.

Valued Contributor

On 3/2/2014 colliegirls said:
On 3/2/2014 muttmom said:

So if I dump a bottle of blue food coloring into the recipe I can have a blue velvet cake? How about green velvet for St. Patrick's Day?

Why not?? They color a lot of food for St Patrick's Day. I only make Red Velvet cake on Christmas for the color and the frosting (as my earlier post), its really similiar to chocolate cake with 2 oz of red food coloring added. Its a pretty cake for the holidays because the sides are not covered, the white frosting only hangs a little over the red cake edges.

Saw at Wal-marts the other day...Forget what box brand but they had Blue Velvet cake mix and I think I saw the Green Velvet Cake mix. I didn't look to see but these are probably made with white cake mix

Honored Contributor

On 3/2/2014 sixcatsaz said:
On 3/2/2014 chrystaltree said:

You need to find a recipe for genuine red velvet cake, not they phony fake they pass off as red velvet. Sadly, some people don't know there is a difference.

I believe that in an original recipe, the red color comes from beet juice. We had an awesome cake from a local baker, and that's what she used....it was delicious!

Sadly most bakers now use red food coloring. On a recent talk show, a "famous" baker was asked about red velvet cake. He responded it was a chocolate cake with red food coloring.

Valued Contributor

On 3/2/2014 debc said:

From what I've ever found original red velvet was a chemical reaction of the cocoa from baking powder and vinegar. And I believe they were not as red as now, things I've looked for say mahogany. Beet coloring came next and then food coloring.

Presentation is the only reason I've ever made one, and that wedding cake got more ooos and ahhhs than any other I've ever done. It looked as pretty cut as it did whole.

I think they taste good, but the amount of food coloring in a recipe is overwhelming. I'd love an original recipe. I'd even try a beet water one.

here's a few I found using beet juice!!

http://bakecakery.com/2011/03/16/red-velvet-cake-with-beets/

http://alimentageuse.com/home/2013/06/14/natural-red-velvet-cupcakes-made-with-beets/

Super Contributor

I was raised in the South in the late '50s and this was such a treat when I was a child. I mean it was a chocolate cake with great icing, but hey ... IT WAS RED ... IT WAS A RED CAKE! My mother always made a special heart-shaped red velvet cake for my class on Valentines day and it made me uber popular.{#emotions_dlg.laugh} Now, just give me good ole chocolate and hold the red.