Esteemed Contributor

Re: Red Velvet Cake ~ What am I missing?

I think this cake is lacking something also- when I want chocolate cake I want CHOCOLATE cake!

Esteemed Contributor

The BEST frosting that makes a red velvet cake special is the cooked milk and flour frosting. Its taste is fabulous, not cream cheese frosting for this cake!

Regular Contributor

On 3/2/2014 ilovedaisies said: For me, it's not really about the cake - it's all about the cream cheese frosting!

In total agreement!{#emotions_dlg.wub} How can you go wrong with something that has both cream cheese and sugar?

Super Contributor

Nothing. I'm with you; I find that mess disgusting. Blech.

Honored Contributor

You need to find a recipe for genuine red velvet cake, not they phony fake they pass off as red velvet. Sadly, some people don't know there is a difference.

Respected Contributor

So if I dump a bottle of blue food coloring into the recipe I can have a blue velvet cake? How about green velvet for St. Patrick's Day?

Contributor

On 3/2/2014 chrystaltree said:

You need to find a recipe for genuine red velvet cake, not they phony fake they pass off as red velvet. Sadly, some people don't know there is a difference.

I believe that in an original recipe, the red color comes from beet juice. We had an awesome cake from a local baker, and that's what she used....it was delicious!

Respected Contributor

On 3/2/2014 colliegirls said:

The BEST frosting that makes a red velvet cake special is the cooked milk and flour frosting. Its taste is fabulous, not cream cheese frosting for this cake!

That is my preference too.....the cooked icing is great on this and it is also good on any cake. Sometimes I will add lemon zest to go on a vanilla cake,or orange zest for a choc cupcake. It's just so good.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/2/2014 muttmom said:

So if I dump a bottle of blue food coloring into the recipe I can have a blue velvet cake? How about green velvet for St. Patrick's Day?

Why not?? They color a lot of food for St Patrick's Day. I only make Red Velvet cake on Christmas for the color and the frosting (as my earlier post), its really similiar to chocolate cake with 2 oz of red food coloring added. Its a pretty cake for the holidays because the sides are not covered, the white frosting only hangs a little over the red cake edges.

Super Contributor

On 3/2/2014 sixcatsaz said:
On 3/2/2014 chrystaltree said:

I believe that in an original recipe, the red color comes from beet juice. We had an awesome cake from a local baker, and that's what she used....it was delicious!

That makes so much more sense to me.