Respected Contributor

Received my new Dash Rice Cooker

The first thing I noticed was that the lid has a steam hole like all the lids now have.  Personally I think it is hard to make certain things like rice.

Tonight I made rice and used water based on their recommendation; rice came out too dry.  I found a little lid without a vent which I will use next time I cook rice or I have to use more water.  Next I will try an omelet for which I will use my old lid.

What are your experiences with these vented lids?  Especially if you are using them to cook rice?

Honored Contributor

Re: Received my new Dash Rice Cooker

Could you just put some Saran wrap or aluminum foil under the lid to block the vent?

Respected Contributor

Hello Clem. Here is what you need to do to fix the rice from being dry. This also happened to me but an easy fix. Smiley Happy

Whatever amount of rice you use be sure to add "more water" than what it says. If I use 1 cup of rice I use 1 and 1/2 cups of water. My booklet said 1 cup of water but it is not enough. I use long grain white rice and always "rinse mine first" and it tastes better after it cooks. The extra water will absorb in the rice as it cooks and then let it sit at the warm temperature if needed. I check mine after about 20 minutes. If you think it needs more water to finish cooking it correctly. Mine comes out perfect that way. I like fluffy rice. Just fluff it with a fork when done.

I also put a teaspoon of butter in it "when I put the water and rice in it."

Do not cover the hole as that needs to vent. If you get a small amount of water on the top just wipe it off. I love mine. 

Let me know how you make out. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@MKR14  thanks for all your helpful hints.  If this little machine doesn't crash, I think I will like it.

OT   You mentioned that you can recommend the Cuisinart Pressure cooker.  I read a lot of reviews and someone mentioned that it was hard to put together e.g.,  it was hard to put the valve in and others agreed.   Did you have yours to put  together ?  I have never heard of having to do that.  Thanks.

Respected Contributor

@CLEM The Cusinart Pressure Cooker is so easy to clean and use. Just snap the Pressure valve on the top and put the silicone rubber around the silver inside top and snap on. Put the cover on the top of the Pressure Cooker lining up the indents and turn "towards you" to lock. Set the valve so it will not release the pressure ( the manual shows you all this) and it is put together.  I don't know why anyone would have problem with the valve. It is not suppose to snap on tight but just push down and it still will be loose as it is suppose to be that way. When the cook being cooked comes up to Pressure (about 5-6 minutes after you start it) the blinking dot on the time you set it for stops blinking and the orange valve pops up to the top and locks it. It is the easiest one I ever owned and will buy another one if this one goes.

It has High and Low Pressure. Just press and keep tapping the time to make it go up. You also can hold it down to go faster but it may pass the time you want. If you need to reset the time just hit the Start/Cancel button and redo what you want to change. After a few times it is just about 10 seconds to set and start. 

Just follow the manual to set it to what you want. It also has a 3 year warranty which I never had to use.

I hope the Dash Cooker works out for you. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@CLEM- I tried to make rice pudding in mine and it bubbled up and out all over the place - I had to take the cover off for a bit and let it finish cooking.  It was a mess!

When I tried to cook regular rice, I heard a click and thought that meant it was done, but it was far from done.  The little lever on the bottom never did click back up to it's off position, did yours?  Maybe I didn't wait long enough?  It was over 20 min. and the rice was done, so I just unplugged it. But I really don't want to sit there and watch and time it.

Have you made anything else?

Respected Contributor

@HerRoyaLioness  I am sorry yours created such a mess.  The light on mine turned off after the rice was done.  But I know I need to use more water next time because it was a bit more dry than I wanted.   That's all I have made so far.  Perhaps I'll try an omelet next time.  Can you use yours at all?

Respected Contributor

@CLEM- I didn't notice the light - I'll have to try something again in it.  For some reason I thought it was the lever thing you had to watch/listen for.

I bought mine at HSN and with the sale and a coupon, I got 2 for $20.  They came in a set of two.  Well, I threw one out and kept the other one, just in case the first one was faulty, which it seems like it was.  I will have to try this other one out and see how it works.

I hope it does, it is so cute and very handy, if I can get it to work right!

Trusted Contributor

I have this machine and love it.  I use it every week to make rice and quinoa.  For the rice I rinse it first then use one part rice to two parts water.  I use the same ratio when making quinoa.  They both turn out perfectly.