Honored Contributor

Quick question for bakers...

If I want to make a box cake mix in a round pan (not layers), what size do I need.  The round pans I have are 9" but are made for making layers so they are not very deep.  I have been looking at pans on Amazon and was thinking a 10" round that is about 3" deep would do the trick.  Am I right?  I know I'd have to play with the bake time to get it right, but I'm used to that because I always doctor cake mixes up and have to make adjustments anyway.

Additiional suggestions are welcome.

TIA

Respected Contributor

Re: Quick question for bakers...

I think that should work, but I would double check with Wilton for specifics.  They are a wonderful site for information regarding size and baking times.  Have fun baking.

Honored Contributor

@brandiwine Thank you for your response.  Going to check it out now.

Honored Contributor

As it turns out, it seems a 9" round (with at least a 2" side) is the right size for a boxed mix.  (From the Fat Daddio's website.)

Respected Contributor

From Food Network:

Respected Contributor

My 9" inch springform pan works dandy for that.

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

As it turns out, it seems a 9" round (with at least a 2" side) is the right size for a boxed mix.  (From the Fat Daddio's website.)

@faeriemoon 

Let us know if that works for you.  I have 9", 2" deep round pans and have never been able to fit an entire box mix in just one.  Always seemed like it would spill over as it was baking so I chickened out.

One hack a friend taught me a long time ago for box mixes...

add about 1/4 cup MORE water than the box says

Use a heavy hand when measuring the oil (go over the line a bit)

NEVER bake any longer than the minimum time listed.  If you can smell it, you over baked it!

I do this all the time and gets the most tender, moist cakes.

Honored Contributor

Thank you everyone!  And thank you for the tips @RespectLife !

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here's my solution. Prepare the entire box of cake mix; pour the correct amount into your 9" round pan; pour any remaining batter into a mini loaf pan or cupcake pan (you'll probably have only 3 or 4 cupcakes). Of course the mini pan will cook faster than the round pan. If you want a 9" cake, there's always a way to use the remaining batter!

Esteemed Contributor

My pan of choice is a bundt; I have several.  I frost them by barely microwaving A can of frosting and pouring A little over the cake.