Honored Contributor

Re: Question about tomatoes for soup and sauce.

@faeriemoon wrote:

Amazon.com: Ergonomic Food Mill Stainless Steel With 3 Grinding Milling  Discs, Milling Handle & Stainless Steel Bowl - Rotary Food Mill for Tomato  Sauce, Applesauce, Puree, Mashed Potatoes, Jams, Baby Food :

I have a food mill too, though I haven't used it in years.  I made applesauce with it.  Anyway, thank you for reminding me.  It's nice to see such reliable, non-electric tools here where folks are always pushing the latest and greatest kitchen appliance.

Honored Contributor

I freeze whole tomatoes.  I just run them under cold water and the skin slips right off.

I also put raw tomatoes in my Vitamix and liquify them...skin, seeds and all and freeze.  When I need to use them, I just thaw them out and cook. They don't take up so much freezer room this way.

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon 

Thank you so much for recommending this.  It appears to be just what we will need to process the quanities of tomatoes that we have. I did a little research and ordered the OXO brand.Screen Shot 2023-01-12 at 10.51.18 AM.png

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@house_cat Glad to help!  I love OXO products; I think it will be great for your future tomato projects. Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

We canned and froze our tomatoes with skins on and just eat them.  

Honored Contributor

I might halve them and take the seeds and goop out then freeze the halves.  WHen you want to use them, let those thaw a bit and put them skin and all in the vitamix.  

Honored Contributor

I have frozen big batches from the garden but always put them through a food mill to get rid of seeds and skin.

Honored Contributor

I would say pull off all of the skins you can,  The skins would be alright in a soup, but tomato sauce shouldn't have a lot  of texture.