Honored Contributor

I have a new toaster oven that I have not used yet.  Did not get a chance to read through the booklet.  Question:  If you want to toast bread do you need to turn it over or will it brown both sides?  ThanksHappy Holidays whether it's just you or you have a large family -- enjoy yourself.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

Re: Question about Toaster Oven

KatCat1, no, you do not need to flip your item as the toaster oven toasts both sides. I encourage you to use it for more than making toast. We use ours for many things from baking fish or warming up leftover pizza. Read the booklet that came with it and discover what all it can be used for. Have fun!

Honored Contributor

I love my toaster oven and use it for many things, but have not used it to make toast because I have a toaster.

Esteemed Contributor

I got one about 6 months or so ago at BJ's and sometimes I wonder why I lived without one for so long. You won't believe how much you use it. In mine according to the booklet no turning for toast. Have never used it for that but good to know I can if my toaster goes south.

Honored Contributor

We have had a toaster oven for many years. In fact it is the only appliance that we have out, except the microwave. We use it that much. 

I hope you like it. And I do flip my toast - I don't need to. There are heating elements on the top and bottom. But I like to butter my bread while it is toasting. So it comes out with the butter already melted.

Honored Contributor

My husband decided that after not having one all our married life, we needed one and he picked one up on Black Friday.

I have used it a few times but honestly could live without it.

Trusted Contributor

@Katcat1

Hi. Love my Breville toaster oven. Would not be without one ever again. Wasn't raised with one so it was a new and different experience for us. Got rid of my toaster and this is the replacement. We're toast people, DH likes his sandwiches lightly toasted and we have toast for breakfast often. This particular model, I have baked side dishes, cookies, cakes, snacks. Great for reheating our leftovers, never liked the microwave for that, hot and cold spots, take it out to stir, etc. 👎🏼My microwave quit working just before we moved, never replaced it. This small appliance is on my countertop and replaced the toaster and microwave. Just broiled fish the other day with it. We make D'Giorno frozen 🍕 too. Baked squashes, bake potatoes, sweet potatoes, etc. It's wonderful, convenient. And has the keep warm setting too. Many other things that I can't remember now 🤔

⚓️
Honored Contributor

kat---I have a Breville oven too---LOVE IT!!! I use it for EVERYTHING and no, you don't have to turn the bread over. I got it in Jan and have not turned on my big oven since--I use that to store the stuff for my breville. Mine has 9 settings including toasting---I have gotten rid of my old toaster as well as a few other small appliances taking up precious room. There are 3 in my fam and it does just fine for us.

Honored Contributor

If you use the "toast" setting, no, there is no turning but rack placement is important.

If the rack is very high, the top will toast faster than the bottom.

I have the little KitchenAid, I use it every day.   I love it.   It's convection too, I love baking in it.

Happy Holidays to you as well

@Katcat1 wrote:

I have a new toaster oven that I have not used yet.  Did not get a chance to read through the booklet.  Question:  If you want to toast bread do you need to turn it over or will it brown both sides?  ThanksHappy Holidays whether it's just you or you have a large family -- enjoy yourself.  Cat Very Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm on vacation, and staying at an apartment that has a toaster oven. It's an Oster, and it's a good size one.  

I made toast today using 375 degrees as the setting. I did turn the toast over halfway through cooking. I had put the bread on a baking sheet that came with the oven (and I lined the sheet with foil).

My question is, are you all putting the bread directly on the oven rack?  

There is a Toaster setting on the oven, that has you choose a number for lightness/darkness. I haven't tried that yet. 

I kind of dread cleaning up a bunch of crumbs on the bottom of the oven, if I just use the oven racks.